39

Kamryn got up the next morning, immediately getting ready for school. She was a little nervous but got herself up and changed into a simple outfit before going out to the kitchen.

"Morning kiddo," Jay smiled, setting her breakfast on the table.

"Hey," she sighed, sitting down as her parents did as well. It was rare that they got time to eat together but this morning, everyone was up early to get that time.

"You okay?" Hailey asked, noticing the little voice out of her daughter.

"Yeah. Just nervous I guess,"

"You'll be fine honey, just getting back to normal,"

"I guess. I don't know," Kam sighed, barely eating any of her breakfast. "I'm gonna go make sure I packed all my stuff," she said, putting her dirty plate in the sink before rushing up the steps.

Hailey sighed as she watched her leave, dropping the fork to the plate. "Are we doing the right thing here? Maybe she needs one more day,"

"Hailey she needs to go back," Jay said as he looked over at his wife. "She's gonna be fine Hail,"

"I know, I just don't want her to have a rough day."

"I know. Are we letting her drive herself?" He asked, taking both of their plates.

"No. Definitely not ready," Hailey said, shutting down the thought immediately.

"Do you wanna take her?"

"If I take her, I'll bring her right back home. And, I think she needs her dad,"

Jay nodded with a tiny smile, "sounds good,"

"Kam! Come on honey!" Hailey called up the steps, hearing their daughter's bedroom door open.

"Coming!" The teen sighed, coming down the steps. She hugged her mother, before slipping on some tennis shoes and heading out to the truck with Jay. "When am I allowed to drive again?"

"In a week or 2, whenever you get cleared for Volleyball," Jay told her as they both hopped into the Ram.

The entire drive, Jay could practically feel the anxiety radiating off his child. He didn't mention it at all but watched her as he drove to the school.
As they pulled up to the school, Jay skipped the drop-off line, opting for an actual parking space since he didn't know how Kamryn was going to react. They both got out, and within seconds Kamryn seemed to somewhat crumble.

"Hey. Kam look at me," Jay said, waiting for his child to look at him before continuing, "you're gonna be fine. Mom and I aren't far, and we'll check in," he said, pulling her into a tight hug. One that he knew she needed.

Kamryn took the hug, immediately letting a few tears fall. She was nervous and she knew that, and so did Jay.

"I got you kiddo, get it out," he sighed, holding Kamryn until she settled down. "Come on, I'll walk you in,"

So Kamryn nodded and grabbed her bag from the truck, walking in with her father. Yes, she was old enough to do it alone but if it helped her settle, she'd be okay. Hailey had emailed her teachers asking that they contact her or Jay if Kam started struggling over the next few weeks.

"Alright. You're gonna be fine, text me or mom if you need to," Jay told his daughter, pulling her into a tight hug, "I love you,"

"Love you, dad," Kamryn smiled a little, pulling away before heading down the hallway into the sea of students.

——————

"How'd she do?" Hailey asked the second Jay walked up the steps to the gated area of intelligence.

"She got a little emotional when we got there, but I got her to calm down and walked her in,"

"I emailed all her teachers to let us know if she's struggling. I'm sure one of us can go get her. I hate the idea of her being upset,"

"Yeah, me too," Jay agreed before they left to do their job.

It only took a few hours before jays phone started ringing. He was just at his desk and as soon as he saw the caller ID, he held up the phone for Hailey to see.

Kamryn Grace

"Oh no," Hailey sighed.

"Hey kiddo," Jay answered, immediately hearing Kamryn's cries on the other side. "Kam, take a breath,"

"He's here!" She sobbed.

"Who's there honey?"

"The one that attacked me," the girl continued sobbing, extremely hysterical which broke Jay's heart.

"Kam he's in jail honey. He can't get you, he's not there. I promise,"

"I can't be here!"

"Okay. Okay. I'm gonna come get you, you need to calm down though," Jay told her calmly, "take a deep breath Kam, I'm coming,"

"Okay," she choked out, trying to calm down but obviously failing. Jay kept her on the phone the whole time he drove, listening to Kam and calmly talking to her. He kept telling her that he was getting closer and soon enough that he was in the parking lot. "Come down to the office honey, I'm gonna sign you out and we'll go,"

"I don't wanna walk alone," Kamryn cried, a new round of fresh tears spilling from her eyes.

"Hey. Hey. It's okay. You're okay. Where are you?"

"The bathroom on the third floor,"

"Okay, I'm gonna sign you out and come get you. Stay right there," Jay told her, walking into the school. "I need to pick up Kamryn Halstead,"

"Let me call her class and get her," the secretary said as she pulled up her schedule.

"She's not in there, she's calling me from one of the bathrooms. Can I just go get her?" Jay asked, pulling his star out of his pocket. The secretary nodded and opened the door, allowing Jay access to the school. He knew there was a single bathroom upstairs for students and knew his daughter had to be calling him from in there. As soon as he got up there, he knocked. "Kam. It's dad,"

Almost as if she'd been waiting by the door, she opened it and hugged her father immediately.

"It's okay Kam. I'm right here,"

———————

Thank you Brooke_McBride for your help on the idea!!!!