11

"I don't wanna wake her up" Jay sighed, getting off the couch since it was time to get ready.

"She'll kill us if we let her miss the game." Hailey chuckled, going over and gently shaking her. "Kam. Time to get ready honey"

Kamryn groaned but sat up, rubbed her eyes, and did as her mom said. She went upstairs, pulled her volleyball uniform out with a smile, and changed before going back downstairs.

Hailey usually did her hair and started 2 French braids, bringing them together in a ponytail.

"Alright. Grab your bag. Let's get moving" she smiled, getting up and getting ready to go.

They soon piled into the Ram and headed off towards the school. Kamryn was getting more and more nervous as they got closer. It'd been months since she played on a team and had a win at stake. Playing in the yard with her parents was one thing but the team was another.

They all went in together, Kamryn immediately getting swarmed with hugs by her teammates and coach. Hailey and Jay stood back, admiring the smile they saw on their daughter's face.

"We're gonna go find a seat kiddo, kick some butt okay?" Jay smiled, squeezing his daughter's shoulder before they headed in. She smiled and bonded with her team, all getting hyped up before going out to the court.

Jay and Hailey were right in the middle, as well as Trudy and Mouch, Adam and Kim with Makayla and Kevin. As soon as she saw them, she had a grin from ear to ear.
She was ready for this.

The game got started and as soon as she made her first set, the nerves disappeared. It was like riding a bike.

By far, the loudest cheering section was Kamryn's. And when they won the game, they came down and all hugged their girl.

——————
"You did so good honey" Jay praised as they walked into the house.

"Thanks, dad" she smiled, setting her bag down and taking her shoes off. "I'm gonna go shower and get in bed. I'm exhausted" Kam chuckled, already heading up the steps.

"Night baby girl" Hailey called after her, smiling.

"I'll be back, gotta go get something from work. Love you." Jay said, kissing Hailey's head and walking out the back door. 

"Love you," Hailey thought nothing of it. Little did she know, he wouldn't be coming home.

——————

Hailey went to bed that night expecting her husband to be there when she woke up in the morning. To her surprise and now worry, he wasn't. She heard the bus honk outside and then drive away before she looked at the time. 7:16.

"Okay so he's probably downstairs" she mumbled to herself, thinking Kamryn was on the bus and he was making coffee or something. "Jay?" She asked, rounding the corner to the kitchen. When she didn't see him, she headed back upstairs she quietly opened Kamryn's door to see the teenager sound asleep.

"Kam?" She asked, shaking the teenager awake. "Did your dad come to get you up?"

"No mama" she mumbled, rubbing her eyes and sitting up.

"Alright. I'll have to drive you, you missed the bus. I thought dad already got you up" Hailey sighed, trying to play it cool so Kamryn wouldn't catch onto her worry.

She managed to get Kamryn to school and call Jay several times before pulling up to the district. She looked all over for her husband's truck but only saw Voights Durango, Kevin's Charger, and Adams Jeep. No sign of the Ram.

"Hailey. You heard from Jay?" Trudy asked as she came up.

"I was gonna ask you guys the same thing. He left after Kam's game last night and I haven't seen him since. Not answering his phone either. He's not at home, Kam said he didn't come get her up like he usually does either." Hailey told them all, sounding worried.

"Okay. We'll track the truck and his phone." Trudy told the blonde woman, trying to keep her calm. She was calmer when she thought he was just at work. She never expected to have to search for her husband and daughter all in the same year.

She went into the break room and tried him again while they were waiting but got the voicemail, "Jay. I'm worried. Call me." She said before hanging up. "Dammit!" She yelled, breaking the coffee mug in the sink.
Adam heard it and knocked softly on the door jam.

"We're gonna find him Hailey" Adam reassured her.

"I need him home tonight. If he's not there, what am I supposed to tell Kam? That her dads just gone and I have no clue where he is?" She rambled, her voice breaking. She thought the worst.

"We'll get him, Hailey. We'll get him."Adam told her again, before going out to the bullpen when she calmed down a bit.

Once they got an address to the truck, Hailey quickly got out and unlocked it, looking inside to see if he could find anything. She got his phone, unlocked it, and saw the text.
Booth.

"It's Booth!" Hailey announced after she went through Jay's phone.
They kept searching and soon enough got a pinged location on Booth's phone.

As soon as they got there, they heard the shot. That one shot.