29

Hailey had gotten home shortly after 6, kissing Kamryn's head as she slept in the recliner. She'd stopped at the store on her way home, getting everything Kam could eat. Mashed potatoes, ice cream, soups, anything she could think of.

She started making some of the mashed potatoes, knowing Kam would probably be hungry when she did wake up. She went out eventually and pulled the ice packs from her face, replacing them with new cold ones. She noticed how swollen Kam's face was, and she was snoring slightly.

"Kam, you hungry honey?" Hailey asked in a hushed voice as Kamryn slightly moved.

"Mama my mouth hurts," she mumbled, groaning as she sat up holding either side of her cheek.

"I know it does honey. I got some mashed potatoes for you," she told her daughter, moving her blanket gently.

"Okay," Kam mumbled, sitting up and handing over the ice packs.

Hailey nodded and put both of them in the freezer again, getting a bowl of the mashed potatoes for her daughter to eat along with a bottled water.

"Here baby," she smiled, handing over the bowl and setting the water down on the end table.

Kamryn took a spoonful of the soft food, eating it slowly.

"You wanna sleep down here tonight? It'll probably help," Hailey told her, going over the paperwork that Jay had brought home.

"I guess," the girl mumbled, taking another spoonful of the airy potatoes. She only ate a few spoonfuls before putting the bowl on the end table as she leaned the chair back more.

She stayed in her spot as her phone rang with a FaceTime from Keith, answering it quickly.

"Hey, how'd it go?" He asked as his face appeared on the screen.

"Okay, my mouth really hurts. Are you home?" She asked, looking behind him to see more of a bedroom than a hospital room.

"Yeah, came home this morning. I didn't call because I knew you were going for your wisdom teeth," he chuckled, looking at his girlfriend with her swollen mouth. "Hopefully it'll be better tomorrow. Sleep in the chair tonight. That helps with the pain and swelling," Keith told her, holding back the little chuckle at Kam.

"That's what my mom said too," she sighed, snuggling into her blankets a little more.

"Alright. I'll let you go, get some sleep," Keith smiled, watching her nod and slightly yawn.

"You too," she sighed, giving a little smile before they hung up.

"That Keith?" Jay asked, as he came back home from a run.

"Mhmm," Kam answered, nestling back into the chair under her blanket.

"How's your mouth?" He asked, dropping a kiss on her head as he sat by Hailey, who had joined them in the living room.

"Hurts," Kamryn mumbled, adjusting the ice packs around her mouth before getting herself comfortable again.

——————

"She asleep?" Hailey whispered, sitting up to look over at their daughter who was in fact, asleep.

"Yeah," Jay chuckled a little, carefully taking the now warm ice packs from her hands. He gently moved her blanket up to her chin, kissing her head again before Hailey did the same. After putting the ice packs back in the freezer, both parents headed off to their bedroom settling down for the night and falling asleep.

——————

The next few weeks pass quickly and Kamryn is lucky that the pain in her mouth starts to fade with her before volleyball tryouts and practices would be starting.

She sighed as she parked the truck in a spot at the ice cream shop, letting a groan slip as she got out. It was a somewhat cooler day in late august so she kept the hoodie on that she usually only wore when she was opening or closing in the cold shop. She was always there first and making sure that it was clean and ready for opening, before the others would show up. They didn't open until 3 in the afternoon, so she couldn't really complain when her parents were up and out of the house at all hours.

She checked her phone a few times, seeing it was only 2:30 and she had a half hour. Keith was doing his physical therapy so calling him was out of the question, so she resorted to her Facebook.

She knew the door was locked so she kinda went into her own little world when she heard some tires screeching to a halt outside. She looked up and out the window to see a blue minivan, and then Kevin step out, eye Kam's truck, and come to the door as she met him.

"What's going on?" She asked as she looked at the minivan and then back at Kevin.

"Lock up, come with me," Was all Kevin said, immediately bringing a fear to Kam's mind.

If anyone in the unit showed up, she didn't question why they were there. It meant her mom or dad could be hurt and she wasn't taking chances. She looked at Kevin, before locking up with shaking hands and getting in the blue van.

"What's going on?" She asked, looking over at him with a look of worry in her eyes.

"There was an explosion, your mom got thrown back. They're taking her to med now. Your dad had me come get you,"

"I-is she- ughhh- Kev-" She stuttered, unable to find words after hearing what had happened.

"Okay, take a breath Kam," Kevin told her before he even started to move the car. Kam nodded and took a deep breath before looking back at him, "Last we heard, she was doing okay. Just slow to respond to anyone, but it's probably normal if she was as close to the blast as I'm guessing," He told her before he did actually start driving to the hospital.

Kam spent the entire ride hoping that her mom was okay, pulling out her phone to text her dad.

Kamryn: Is mom okay? Kev just picked me up.

Daddy❤️🚔: Don't freak out. She's getting checked over now but looks like it was pretty lucky.

Kamryn: Okay. See you in 10.