19

(Gonna put a trigger warning at the beginning of this one for not eating. If that is something that you are going through, please know you are not alone and there are resources to help. You're all amazing people, don't let anyone tell you differently!)

——————

Jay called Hailey as soon as he pulled up to the school at 6. They had an hour and a half to get ready for the game at 7:30. They had everything there but they both knew she needed the pep talk.

"Hey kiddo, I got mom on the phone," Jay smiled, as Kamryn slid into the truck.

"Hi mom," Kamryn smiled a little.

"Hey, baby girl. You ready for your game?" Hailey asked, smiling when she heard her daughter's voice.

"I guess. Practice didn't go so great, I missed everything again." The teen admitted, sighing as she was mad at herself.

"Honey you're great at this game, and I think you're letting yourself get distracted. If you're anxious, make the game a way of relief. Hit the ball as hard as you can when you feel like you need to. When you're out there, it's you and your team. Not me, not dad, no one in the unit. Just you and your team." Hailey told her, Jay nodding in agreement.

"Okay," Kam mumbled, playing with her phone case. Jay had never noticed that but assumed it was another new anxious habit.

After a little more pep-talking, Kamryn went back inside to get a little more practice in while Jay found a seat. Adam and Kim had a dance recital for Makayla so they weren't going to make it, but Kevin came. The team was warming up and something more seemed to be off with Kamryn. She wasn't very quick or steady on her feet.

"She's been so anxious since Hailey left." Jay brought up, watching her closely.

"Hopefully it all disappears when she gets back," Kevin replied, also watching the girl who was like a niece to him.

"I hope so. She's not my Kamryn,"

The game started and Jay saw her miss several sets, and even dives that she always went for.

"Come on Kam! You got this!" Kevin yelled, hoping they could encourage her enough to help her.

Jay sighed when it did nothing. She kept missing everything, she'd gotten dizzy and went for a set but came down, rolling her ankle in the process and hitting the floor. Her whole world was spinning on the gym floor, as her coach came out to check on her. Jay watched for a second before he ran down, kneeling by Kamryn's head.  By the time he got to her, she'd passed out. What they didn't know, was she was too anxious to eat all day so she didn't have breakfast or lunch, and no dinner or even a snack before her game.

"Kamryn. Wake up," Jay said with a little urgency while tapping Kamryn's face. "I'm gonna take her in,"  he sighed, easily picking her up while Kevin came down. Jay gave Kevin the keys to the truck while he got in the back.

As they were heading towards med, Jay texted Will that they were on their way with Kamryn, so they were ready the second they pulled up.

As soon as he handed his daughter over, he had to make the worst call to Hailey. He didn't want her to worry but they had no clue why Kamryn passed out. That was more concerning than the ankle. Jay gave them full consent for any test they needed to do to figure it out.

"Hey. How'd it go?" Hailey asked, picking up as she sat in the hotel room.

"Not good. She passed out on the gym floor" Jay sighed, hating that he had to deliver that news to his wife.

"What?! Is she okay?"

"We're at med now. They're checking her over, I'm waiting but I'll call you as soon as I know," Jay told her calmly, hearing the worry in her voice.

"Yeah. Immediately," Hailey told him, getting on her laptop and looking for flights home. She didn't tell Jay because she knew he'd tell her to stay in New York and he had Kamryn.

"I swear Hailey, I'll call you as soon as I know anything,"

"Okay. I'll talk to you soon," she sighed, "love you"

"Love you too, I'll call you soon," Jay said as he hung up.

Kevin and Jay waited out in the waiting room until Dr. Scott came out.

"She's awake, said she hurt her left ankle and felt a snap. That's why she passed out, the sound scared her. We did some blood work and we're waiting on the lab for the results. She's got an IV with some pain medication for the ankle. X-rays didn't show anything broken or fractured. It's seeming like just a sprain, so the snap she heard was likely just something hitting the gym floor." The doctor explained, walking Jay over to the treatment room.

Kamryn was awake, crying, and had ice on her left ankle. As soon as she saw Jay, she started sobbing.

"Kamryn. What happened?" He asked, sitting on the bed gently.

"I wasn't hungry I swear," she sobbed, sitting up with Jay's help before he pulled her into a hug.

"You didn't eat all day?" He asked, Kamryn shaking her head. "Kamryn. That's so unhealthy honey. You need to eat. Especially on a volleyball day." He sighed, putting it to bed for now. Kamryn was a mess of tears, especially after the blood work confirmed what she'd told Jay.

After finding the problem, they moved Kamryn to a room for overnight observation. All Jay's attempts to calm her down failed so they ended up giving her a small sedative as well as a bag of nutrients. He'd tried to call Hailey, not knowing that she got a red-eye flight home. She got home at 1 AM and took an Uber straight to med, going right to the front desk.

"Hailey," Maggie caught her, looking up Kamryn's room number.

"Maggie do you know where Kam is?"

"351," Maggie told the mother, watching her go for the elevators and upstairs to her child.