14

"Mommy please" Kamryn sobbed, calling Hailey's phone again and another missed call.

Hailey had been walking around with Jay, just to get him out of the room for a little bit, and came back to see

5 missed calls
Kamryn Halstead

"Crap" she sighed, calling her back immediately. "Come on sweetie. Pick up"

"Mommy" Kamryn choked out, finally getting Hailey on the phone. Hailey heard her sobs immediately and felt for her child.

"Baby what's wrong? Talk to me." She said calmly, but all she heard was sobs. "Deep breaths sweetheart. I'm and out."

"I c-can-t bre-breathe" Kamryn choked, still shaking in sobs.

"Okay. Hold on, baby. I'm coming to get you. Deep breaths." Hailey told her, grabbing her keys and wallet. She muted her phone real quick to tell Jay everything so Kam wouldn't hear. "Kam's having a panic attack. I'm gonna go get her. I'm gonna have her call you until I can get there"

Jay nodded and reached for his phone, while Hailey turned her back off mute. "Kam. I'm gonna have dad call you okay. I'm coming to get you, sweetie. I'll be there in 10 minutes okay? As soon as I'm off the phone dad will be calling, okay?"

"O-okay" Kamryn sobbed, hanging up her phone and waiting. It only took 2 seconds before "Daddy❤️🚔" popped up on her screen. "Daddy" she sobbed as she answered.

"I know honey. Moms on her way, you're gonna be fine. Just take a few deep breaths for me" Jay told her, hating how hard she was crying. He was worried she was gonna make herself sick. "Alright. Kam listen to me, I'm gonna put you on FaceTime okay?" He told her before he pressed the button. Next thing he knew, his daughter's red, teary face had shown up on his screen. "Okay, honey. Look at me, take a deep breath."

Kamryn tried but looked like she was unable to calm herself down. Jay knew Hailey was probably speeding so she'd be there in record time.

"Moms almost there honey. Keep trying until mama can get to you" he told her as he got a text from Hailey.

Hailey: I'm here. Which floor is she on? What room.

"Kam what floor are you on? 1 or 2?" He asked, seeing her hold up 2 fingers. "Are you in the middle bathroom, by the steps?" He asked, getting a nod from her again.

Jay: second floor, bathroom by the stairs.

Hailey: alright. I got past the office, going up now

Jay saw that text and started to say something when the door opened and he saw his wife appear.

"Okay. Okay. I'm here honey. Come here" Hailey said softly, sitting on the floor and pulling Kamryn close to her, and starting to rock her. "Shhh, it's okay honey. Mamas got you. Slow your breathing down babe. Slow it down,"

Jay watched as Kamryn slowly started to snuggle into Hailey and start to calm down. He wished he could be there, knowing they both would be if he had his way. "That's it, Kam. Slow breaths" Jay told her, as Hailey was holding her and rubbing her back. "You wanna stay at school or come back with mom?"

"Mom" Kamryn mumbled, still calming down from the panic attack.

"Alright, sweetie. Let's get going. You can take a nap when we get there" Hailey told her, pulling away from her and helping her daughter get up. Hailey grabbed her backpack and got a cold towel to wipe her daughter's face. She knew she was 16 but wanted her to know that Kamryn was still her baby.

Hailey signed her out for the day and took her back to the hospital with her, and headed up to Jay's room.

"There's my girl" Jay sighed, with open arms. Kamryn immediately got on the bed and snuggled into her father's embrace. "It's okay honey. It happens. You've had a pretty rough 24 hours."

"Take a nap baby." Hailey sighed, pulling the blanket over her and up to her shoulders. Kamryn nodded and shut her eyes, falling asleep in minutes while Jay played with her hair.

"Maybe we shouldn't have sent her to school" Hailey sighed, regretting it all. She was hoping it would get Kamryn's mind off everything but it made it all worse for her.

"The intentions were good. We wanted her to continue feeling normal, there's nothing wrong with that." Jay sighed, looking down at Kamryn to make sure she was actually sleeping.

"When do we send her back? Do we let her go to volleyball tonight?" Hailey sighed, sitting by the bed.

"Maybe she will if you go with her," Jay told his wife, knowing she was hesitant to leave the hospital but he was fine.

"What about you though?" Hailey asked, which both of them knew she would ask.

"I'll be fine Hailey. She needs you right now." Jay told her, holding her hand with the arm that wasn't around Kam.

"Okay. I'll go with her tonight. See how she does" Hailey nodded, setting an alarm to wake Kam up at 3 if she wasn't already.

——————

Before Hailey got Kamryn awake she decided to text her coach, so she knew what was going on.

Hailey: Hey Jamie. Kamryn was pulled from school earlier because she had a pretty bad panic attack. I know she isn't supposed to be at practice if she went home early, but she is not sick. She's struggling after everything happening with Jay and I was hoping she could still come? We were also hoping I could sit in the bleachers, and stay so she could come get me if she feels anxious? Let me know. Thanks.

Coach Jamie: Yeah that's absolutely fine. Whatever will help her cope with everything. See you both soon.

Hailey sighed in relief and smiled over at her sleeping husband and daughter. She hated having to wake her up but she had to get ready. She gave her a few extra minutes, getting herself ready before going to get Kam up.

"Hey, honey. Time to get ready" Hailey said as she gently shook her. As soon as Kamryn moved to go get ready, Jay woke up too.

"Jamie said it was okay for me to sit in there so I'm gonna go with her," Hailey told her husband. "You should sleep while I'm gone"

"Let me know how it goes"

"I will" Hailey smiled, giving him a quick kiss before heading to the car with Kam and heading off towards her school.