16

Monday morning, Kamryn went back to school but Hailey made sure to keep in touch with her between classes. She'd emailed all her teachers about the panic attack she'd had Thursday so they all knew to call her if she had another one.

Around 1 PM, Med decided to discharge Jay so they packed up and got everything into the Jeep.

"Let's go get Kam," Jay smiled, sliding into the passenger seat.

"Jay, she's got 2 classes left still. She already missed Friday." Hailey chuckled but ultimately gave in. Jay wanted to surprise Kam, so they figured picking her up early was the way to go.

Hailey went in and signed her out early, hearing the secretary call her teacher.

——————

"Hey, Kamryn. Pack your stuff up. Moms here," The older woman told her.

"Uh okay?" She felt her heart drop. Her mind immediately goes to the worst. She packed her backpack up, heading down to the office where Hailey was waiting.

"Hey kiddo" She smiled, putting Kam at ease. That was an actual smile, not a nervous one. "Come on,"

"Why'd you pick me up early? I still had history and English." Kamryn asked, pushing the heavy door open that lead to the parking lot.

"Come on and you'll see," Hailey chuckled, nodding at the black Jeep sitting in the lot.

"Is dad in the car?" Kamryn asked, immediately smiling when she got a nod from Hailey. The young girl handed her bag to her mother and took off across the parking lot as Jay got out of the car.

"Hey kid" Jay chuckled, finally getting a happy hug from their daughter. "How was school?"

"School was school. Are we going home?" She asked, still holding onto her dad.

"We are kiddo. Come on, get in the car" he smiled, letting go of Kamryn. Kamryn nodded, got her bag back from Hailey, and got in the backseat before they all drove home.

As soon as the dinner hour hit, the Halstead's decided a pizza would be better than anything the three of them could cook. They turned on the movie "Just Go With It" and within 10 minutes, Jay was napping on the couch while Kamryn fell asleep in the recliner. Hailey chuckled and took a picture of the two and sent it to the team.

Hailey: like father, like daughter 😆 Jay's home!

Kim: That's so cute lol Happy he's home!

Kevin: There's no denying that she's your kid 😂

Hailey: pretty sure she lasted 10 seconds longer than her dad but they're both out. I just left for 2 minutes. 😂😂

The knock on the door pulled Hailey away from her phone to grab their dinner and set it in the kitchen before going to get the 2 awake.

"Kam come get your dinner," Hailey said, shaking the teenager awake. Luckily she was easy to get up and headed out to grab her pizza and breadsticks, heading back out to the living room.

Hailey got Jay his before waking him up and all of them eating their dinner.

"Kam. You gonna go to homecoming?" Jay asked, knowing what Hailey was thinking.

"Probably not. Not my thing. And I won't go with a guy." Kamryn shrugged, eating more before they could ask her more questions.

"You don't have to always go with a boy Kam. You can go with girls from your team." Hailey told her, knowing she was avoiding it.

"How'd you even find out about it?" Kamryn asked, forgetting the signs that were all over the school walls when Hailey took her to volleyball. She was planning on not even telling them, so she wouldn't have to go.

"Kamryn, I was at your school Thursday night. With you. Do you know how many flyers there are just in the gym?" Hailey told her.

"I mean, I guess. But why? I don't see a point to some dance where high schoolers spike punch and dance like idiots." Kamryn shrugged, looking at her parents.

"I didn't get to go to mine honey. I want you to be able to experience everything high school has to offer." Hailey sighed, setting her plate on the coffee table.

"Fine. I'll do it once.  But only once." Kamryn gave in, also setting her plate down.

"And if you hate it, call and we will come to get you" Jay spoke up, knowing she'd be calling anyway.

"Deal," Kamryn agreed, the family turning back to the movie that was still playing.

——————

"So you are coming?" Olivia, one of the girls on her team asked.

"I guess. Promised my parents" Kamryn shrugged, pushing her volleyball duffel bag into her locker.

"It'll be fun! Do you have a dress picked out yet?" Olivia asked, sounding way too excited for Kamryn's liking.

"Girl. I think I own one dress and it's never been worn. It just sits in my closet until it's too small." Kamryn chuckled.

"I have way too many," Olivia laughed, getting to her class. "See you at practice."

"Yup," Kamryn nodded, heading towards her class and on with the day.

——————

"Mom I look like a fru-fru cupcake" Kamryn complained, looking in the mirror in the changing stall.

"Come on honey, just let me see it" Hailey chuckled, hearing the door open and Kam walk out to her. "It's not so bad sweetie,"

"It's not me mom, I don't do dresses."

"Try the other one on. Maybe just wear your Keds instead of heels?" She suggested, knowing her daughter was not about to wear even a tiny heel.

"Fine" Kamryn grumbled, going back and changing. Turns out, she didn't hate this one. It was black, flowy, but not too short, it fit her perfectly and would match amazingly with her white Keds. "Not so bad" Kam shrugged, coming out of the stall again.

"That one looks really good. You look really pretty honey" Hailey smiled, watching Kamryn in the mirror for a second. "You like it?"

"I guess. I just don't do dresses. I kinda like this one though." She shrugged, but the smile never left her face.

"Maybe that'll change kiddo. Go get changed, we'll get this one" Hailey told her, smiling as her daughter disappeared and came back out in her leggings and t-shirt.
"There's my girl,"