45

The next morning at work, Jay had texted Keith asking him to call his cell phone only when he had a moment, as well as not to tell Kamryn.

At 12:40, Jay's phone started ringing in the truck with Keith's name showing up on the caller ID.

"Hello?" Jay answered, putting it on speaker.

"Hey Jay. What's up? Is Kam okay?"

"Kam is okay. She's not herself but physically, she's fine," Jay told him, hearing a sigh of relief.

"So what's up?"

"You got any time in your schedule this Saturday? Kam has a weekend game and I'm sure she'd love to see you,"

"I think I can come out. I need to see her," he smiled, texting his mom on his watch to make sure it was okay. "Just gotta make sure nothing is going on with my family,"

"Sounds good, just let me know. And this is a complete surprise. She hasn't been herself so I'm sure a visit from you would perk her up a little,"

"Yeah, she hasn't seemed herself. I've tried to make sure she's eating and sleeping. Says she is but, is she?" He asked, hoping for an answer from his girlfriend's father.

"Hailey and I are making her eat. Even if she hates us for it," he nodded, hearing a sigh of relief from Keith.

"I've been meaning to reach out to you guys and check in on her but she just tells me she's fine,"

"She does a lot of that to us too,"

"What time is her game on Saturday?"

"4. We'll save you a seat,"

"Thank you," he nodded before hanging up.

"Kam text you?" Hailey asked, checking her phone.

"Yeah," he sighed, pulling up her message and reading it off, "Straight up not having a good time,"

"Of course our daughter would say that," Hailey sighed, rolling her eyes at her daughter's message.

"She's your kid,"

"Last I checked, it was a team effort," she chuckled, looking over at her husband.

"Valid point,"

"Mhm,"

——————

"When are you gonna be able to see him next?" Heather asked as they sat at the lunch table.

"No clue," she sighed, picking at her meal before pushing it away.

"You need to eat before practice," heather sighed, pushing it back towards her.

Kamryn pushed it away again, putting her head down on the table. She missed Keith so much and just didn't feel like herself with him at another school, in another state.

——————

"Hey Kam," Jay called, hearing her come in the back door. He got no verbal response and just a simple wave before she headed up the steps.