113. Shopping

The next day of school passes by the same way that it has been for the past few days. Just doing school work and comforting a sad Scott. The end of the day seems especially hard for him though. After you get into your locker and grab all of the things that you need you and Scott walk outside. You're about to part ways when Scott suddenly pulls you into his arms. You just rub small circles in his back to try to make him feel better. Between shaky breaths, he says, "I'm not ready for tomorrow.. I don't.. Want tomorrow to come." "ou sigh sadly and say, "I know it's going to be tough, but I promise I'm going to be there with you. We'll get through this together, okay?" He takes a few deep breaths to calm himself down, and he wipes the tears away from his eyes. "Okay.. Thank you, (Y/N).. I love you.." "I love you too.." He turns to go to his car, and you turn to start heading home. You are interrupted though, when a car honks at you. The car is a convertible and in the driver seat is Vera. Zoe sits in the passenger seat, and Polly is in a seat in the back. Vera says, "Get in loser, we're going shopping." You look around the area to make sure that she's not talking to anybody else. When you realize no one else is around, you say, "Okay." You send a quick text to your mom and then get into the backseat with Polly.

During the drive, you ask, "What exactly are we shopping for?" Vera answers, "Well, we'll need something to wear tomorrow.. Ive never been to a funeral before.. At least, not for someone who I cared about. So I figured I should go get something.. Zoe and Polly need outfits too, and I just assumed that you didn't have anything to wear, and even if you did, you'd still probably appreciate being out of the house." You respond, "Yeah, thanks.. I appreciate it."

Vera and Zoe continue to make small talk with you, but Polly stays quiet the whole time. She just blankly looks out the side of the car, her face in her palm as she rests her arm on the inside of the car door. You try to include her in the conversation, "So, Polly.. Have you done any fun drugs lately?" Without turning to look at you, she says, "Nope." "Are you okay?" "I'm fine." You look up at Vera and Zoe, who have sad looks on their own faces now. Even Vera's snakes seem upset. You nervously ask, "D-Did something else happen?" Polly sighs, "I just miss Scott! He's all depressed and sad now. I get that Mawmaw is dead, but come on! I was only upset for like a day when I died, and then I was fine! Why can't he be the same way?" Polly pouts. Vera sighs, "Polly, we've talked about this.. Humans and monsters are different. Humans roughly have a 30% chance of coming back to life naturally. You died as a human, and you came back to life as a ghost. Just like how Brian is a zombie now. But monsters don't do that. Once you're done, you're done. Scott will never see Mawmaw again. None of us will! So we're all upset! But Scott has spent all 21 years of his life with her, so he's the most upset out of anyone! Don't you understand that?" Polly starts to cry. She curls up into a ball, and puts her clenched fists to her forehead as she lets out quiet sobs. Vera pulls into the parking lot of the mall, and stops the car. She steps out, and comes around to the back seat. She opens the door, and wraps her arms around Polly. She says, "I'm sorry, Polly. I didn't mean to yell at you.. Sometimes, you just don't say good things.." Polly also apologizes, "I-I'm sorry too.. For b-bringing the mood d-down.." Vera and her snakes look at you, as if tell you to say something as well. You put a hand on Polly's shoulder and say, "It's okay, Polly.. We're all upset about.. The current circumstances.." You all help Polly calm down a little before walking into the mall.

After having her mini breakdown, Polly seems to be in much better spirits. She's as talkative and energetic as usual, even if it seems a tad forced. The four of you cruise through the mall, checking out fancy clothing stores to find good outfits for everyone. Everyone finds a nice outfit they like, except for you. You've tried multiple things, but none of them really work for you. They're either uncomfortable, or they don't look good on you. Finally, you find a casual combination of clothing that you think will work well. You put it on in the dressing room and step out, showing your friends with a nervous look on your face. Vera scans your body and says, "Looks good." You smile softly to yourself. Polly smiles and gives a thumbs up, "You look hot!" Zoe also gives her approval with a smile. You all go to purchase your new clothes at the front counter. The woman scans your clothes, and that's when you realize you don't have any money on you. Vera steps forward, and without batting an eye, she swipes her credit card. You say, "V-Vera! You didn't have to do that!" She writes her signature on the machine, still not looking at you. She says, "No, I didn't. But I did it anyway. Consider it as appreciation for your friendship. You smile and tear up, grabbing your clothes as you all start to leave.

You go through the mall to the exit, and you hear the soft rumble of thunder outside. As if it were destiny, you also turn your head at an electronics store and something catches your eye. You walk into the store, almost feeling drawn to the item. You pick it up and examine it, moving it around in your hands. Vera comes up behind you and asks, "Noise cancelling headphones?What're these for?" "I just think Scott would like them a lot.. They'd help with the lighting and stuff.." Vera takes them from you and buys them as well. You say, "V-Vera! What the hell?" She chuckles, "What? These are for our appreciation for Scott's friendship." You smile and hug Vera, and you all leave the mall. After grabbing some dinner, Vera drops you off back home, and you go to bed, trying to get some good rest before tomorrow.