50. Night Mission

Friday. Today is Friday. That's it. You get out of bed a half hour later than normal, your hair is a mess, you don't even bother changing your clothes for the day. You slept in sweatpants and a hoodie, and that's how you're going to school. Your head pounds with pain, the same pain that's been present for 4 days now. You slowly make your way to school, barely escaping tardiness. The entire day passes by in the blink of an eye, and you mosey on home as well. You do your homework, and lay in your bed, staring at the ceiling. The same ceiling you'll probably stare at the entire weekend. Your phone buzzes, and you see a message from Vicky: 'Hey (Y/N), just making sure your doing ok. You've been pretty quiet lately, and I haven't seen Scott in a few days. I hope everything's going ok! Talk soon! Xoxo' You put your phone down and wrap yourself up in a blanket. You imagine the blanket as Scott, which helps you fall asleep.

The sound of metal clashing against the floor is heard. There is a fresh, new cut in your arm. The first of many. It feels.. Refreshing. You pick the knife up off the floor, examining it closely. Your blood is running down the edge of the blade. You bring it back to your arm, making another, deeper, cut. It stings horribly, yet somehow makes you feel better. You go again. And again, and again, and again. You try different directions, different lengths, different levels of deepness. Tears silently pouring out of your eyes as a voice inside your head tells you you're doing the right thing. You bandage yourself up and go to sleep. The next day, you go to school. Towards the end of the day, you are called into the principal's office. Once you enter, the principal is sitting at his desk, and there are two chairs in front of it. The chair on the left is occupied by your mom. She looks at you with worry. The principal says, "Thank you for coming (Y/N). How are you feeling?" "I'm good," you lie. The principal tells your mom, "Now ma'am, some of (Y/N)'s teachers have noticed cuts on your child's arms. Are you aware this is happening?" Her eyes widen. "What? No! (Y/N), is something wrong?" "No, I'm okay!" "Let me see your arms." You look away as you roll up your sleeves. There are multiple scabs on your arms, and it looks horrible. Without looking up, you hear the principal say, "Now ma'am, I suggest simple counseling. If (Y/N) has a safe place to go after school once a week, they'll get better over time. Everyone needs someone they can talk to in order to feel better." He smiles and stands up to look around in a file cabinet. He grabs a paper from it and goes to the copy machine. He makes a copy and hands it to your mother. "This has multiple numbers on it for different counseling offices to choose from. I suggest you try a couple out before you decide on one. I think (Y/N) should take the rest of the day off. (Y/N), I'll make sure your teachers know you'll be gone the rest of the day." He smiles and dismisses you and your mother. You gather your things from your locker and go to your mom's car outside. You sit in the passenger's side and your mom gets behind the wheel, letting out a loud exhale. "Really? Cutting, (Y/N)?" "I'm sorry, mom." "Yeah, you better be sorry. God, I am so embarrassed." You look at her in confusion. "What do you mean?" "You cut yourself, and teachers noticed. They probably think I'm some kind of horrible mother now. They're probably all talking about it too." "Well, if you take me to counseling, that might help." "Counseling is expensive, there's no way you're going there." She take out the paper the principal gave her and tears it into pieces and throws it in the trash. "B-But, m-my principal said everyone needs someone to talk to in order to f-feel better." "Then talk to me. Now let's go." She starts the car and begins taking you home. You watch the houses go by during the silent car ride. Once you get home, you walk inside and start heading to your room. Before you get in there, your mom shouts, "And you better stop with the cutting nonsense."

This is stupid. You are stupid. Everyone needs someone to talk to in order to feel better. Even if you're no professional, you can be that someone. Looking at your clock, it's a little past midnight. You check your mom's room and see she's laying down, presumably asleep. You go back to your own room, and grab a few things. You grab a blanket, a flashlight, and a spare change of clothes, just in case. You quietly walk through your house, and leave out the front door. An hour later, you finally find the road leading to Scott's house. You walk on it, your eyes set on the building ahead. You get to the front door and pull out your phone, calling Scott. It rings a few times, and then you hear Scott's voice telling you to leave a message. "Hey, Scott.. It's (Y/N).. Uh, I'm outside you're house right now. I just had a gut feeling to come here because.. I miss you, and I wanna see you again, so if you hear this, please let me in. Or tell me to go home..." You hang up and try again. Still nothing. You leave another message, "I know I said that I miss you, but I'm also worried about you. I haven't seen or heard from you in days, and I just want to make sure you're okay." You hang up and sit down on the porch, calling again. It's after 1 AM, he's probably sleeping, and you can't help but think that maybe this was a bad idea. It goes to voicemail, and this time you start crying a little. "Did, did I do something wrong? Are you upset with me? I'm sorry I'm leaving so many messages, but I'm scared that you don't want to see me anymore! You mean so much to me Scott, and..." You sniffle, "I love you. And and and, I know I've said it before, but this time is just different. I love you so much.." You hang up and look out at the forest landscape, covered in snow, going on seemingly forever. You wipe the tears out of your eyes when you hear a howl in the distance. A sinking feeling washes over you as you look up at the sky to see if your suspicion is correct. It is. Tonight is a full moon.

You panic as you consider what to do. You hear another howl, this time closer, and in a fight or flight response, you run down the path. You take a turn down the road you came on and kept running. You hear rustling in the sea of trees and look over to see a werewolf running towards you. You continue to run for dear life. By now you're not paying attention to where you're going and you slip on the ice on the road. Just then, the werewolf lunges at you, only missing you due to your fall. Your hands are scratched and there is a huge pain in your arm. You grasp it with your other hand and look up to see staring at you, growling. Growling is heard all around you, and you see you are surrounded by four wolves total. One of them pounces and scratches your cheek, causing you to yelp in pain. Just when it seems you're about to be killed, you yell out, "Please... Leave me alone!!" A flash of white light appears, blinding you. You close your eyes tight, and as it fades, you slowly open them back up. The wolves around you seem disoriented, giving you a chance to run. Ignoring the pain surrounding your body, you get up and run down the road again. Looking back, you see them all chasing you again. You fall down once again, and can't help but watch the wolves close in on you. One attempts to claw at you again, but it's stopped by one more werewolf. You've only seen his wolf form once, but you can tell right away that it's Scott. He barks at the rest, and they whimper and run away. He slowly turns around and looks you in the eyes. He steps forward and lies down at your feet, looking up at you. You lean forward and embrace him, saying, "I'm so glad you're okay." You get back up to your feet and begin limping back towards Scott's house. Scott stays next to you the whole time, acting as a guard dog. Once you reach his house again, you try the door to see if it's locked, which it is. You sit down on his porch and bury your face in your hands. Scott rubs his head on your arm, and you pet his head. "Coming here was a bad idea, wasn't it? I'm cold, injured, and I could've been killed." You let out a heavy sigh and Scott sits in front of his door. He paws at the door, as if begging for entry. A second later, you hear the sound of a lock clicking, and the door opens. In the doorway, you see a smaller wolf. It has glasses on, and moves very slowly. It must be Scott's grandma. Scott nuzzles her as a greeting, and she nuzzles back. She notices you, and rubs herself on your leg as a greeting. She walks back inside, and you follow. You kneel down and ask her, "Do you have any bandages?" She leads you to the bathroom, and walks up to the sink. She manages to open a cupboard underneath the sink and sticks her head inside. She steps back, holding a first-aid kit in her mouth, and drops it at your feet. As she exits the room, you sit down on the toilet and get to work on cleaning yourself up. Scott sits at your feet the entire time. Once you're done, you scratch his favorite place behind his ear, and he gets up to lead you into his room. He lays down on his bed, and shows you puppy dog eyes. You lay down in the bed, and cover yourself with the blanket. Scott gets comfortable next to you, and closes his eyes to fall asleep. You scratch his ear one more time before falling asleep yourself.