15. Freedom

Once you come back to reality, you walk away. Why? You don't know. You just know that it's your fault. Scott is hurt. There must have been something you could have done to have prevented it. But you didn't. You get into the locker room, and change back into your regular clothes. The leader of the Wolfpack walks into the room, with his arm locked with Scott's. "Hey. Scotty boy here wants YOU to take him to the nurse's office." Scott's hand is over his mouth, and some fresh blood dripping down it. "O-Okay.." You get up and walk to his side. Scott holds his arm up so the two of you can lock arms, and you take it. The leader of the Wolfpack goes back out into the gym, and you and Scott start walking to the nurse's office. On the way, you start to apologize. "I.. I'm sorry that you got hit in the mouth.. Does it hurt real bad?" Scott shakes his head no, and as you two are walking, your arm lock is getting weaker. After you notice this, you quickly take your arm away, as if you had done something wrong. You look away from him, but you can still feel as though he is staring at you. You couldn't completely tell, but it seemed as if Scott had started walking closer to you.

Once you two arrive, you tell the nurse the situation. She goes into the back to grab something, and you turn your attention back to Scott. His hand is still over his mouth, and he starts tearing up. You walk over to him, and put your arms around him. He leans into you a little, and the nurse comes back out. She takes care of Scott, and after the bell rings, she gives you both late passes, and you two are rushed back. Just before you two leave, Scott asks the nurse, "Will I still be able to play tonight?" "You'll be fine, just take it easy." Scott lightly smiles, and you two go back to the locker rooms. You grab your things, and make your way to your next class. As the two of you are walking to science, Scott says, "If you're able, you should come to the game." Shocked, you look up at him. He's not looking at you, he's smiling, and his face is a faint red. You reply, "You know how my mom is.. I won't be able to.. And it's too stressful to have to lie to her about what happened if we knocked her out again.. I'm sorry Scott..." He puts his hand on your shoulder. "It's okay, (Y/N)! Maybe another time!" You two smile at eachother, and arrive at science, giving your teacher your passes. The rest of science passes normally.

The rest of the day goes by and when the last period rolls around, there is a note on the door saying that the class will be taking place in the library. You make your way over there, and when you arrive, the teacher tells you to sit in the back corner. He announces to the class that today is a study hall, since he doesn't have his lesson plans. As he announces that, he looks at you. Others look as well, most of them snickering, and on person pointing while talking to someone. You try to cover yourself as much as possible and do homework for your other classes. Out of the corner of your eye, you see someone approaching you. She sits down, and it's just Vera. She smiles sweetly, and gets out a manila folder. Your teacher notices her presence, and says to her, "Ms. Oberlin, your study hall class is over there, please move back to-" Vera stares straight at him, and each of the snakes on her head perk up. He sits back down at the desk and does his own work. Vera continues what she is doing, as if nothing happened at all. She starts talking, which startles you. "Have you heard about Damien?" You cringe at that name. "N-No, what about him." Vera chuckles to herself, "He got suspended. His dads are super pissed too, so he's grounded. Which means he can't go the football game tonight, or Polly's after party. It's pretty funny." The fact that he can't go to the game made you wish you could go more, but in order to shake off those thoughts, you try to keep talking to Vera. "What's Polly's after party?" "Everytime there's a big football game, Polly throws a huge party, to either celebrate our victory or forget about our loss." "This game is a big one?" "Yeah. It's the last one of the playoffs. We've won every game so far, so if we win tonight, we'll be undefeated. The whole team is freaking out, but super pumped." As Vera talks, the thought of Scott playing starts becoming more and more appealing. Thinking of stupid, handsome Scott getting all hot and sweaty from a game made you feel... "Vera! Do you have any more of that stuff that makes people pass out??" Vera frowns. "I'm sorry, (Y/N), but I used the last of it last night. I won't get another shipment until next week." Disheartened, you fall silent. The only way you'd be able to go is gone. There is no point anymore. You put your head down, and try not to cry.

Vera gives you a ride home, and gives you her phone number, so she can contact you once she gets the gas, and they'll help you sneak out again. As you walk back inside your house, you see your mother packing up a briefcase. "What's going on here, mom?" "Oh sweetie! We're going on a trip!" "Huh? But what about school?" "Oh don't worry, we can call and tell them you won't be going to school, and they better not give you a hard time!" "But why are we going so suddenly?" "Listen, honey, I have a business trip, and I have to leave for two weeks." "Two weeks?!" "Yeah, is something wrong sweetie?" You think for a moment, and try to change the circumstances. "I can't leave for two weeks! That'll be a lot of makeup work!" "That's fine, I'll call them and tell them to give you none!" "But I'll be confused when I get back. Can't I just stay here?" "Oh no, no no no. You've never lived by yourself, let alone two full weeks!" "Please mom, I can take care of myself! I won't leave the house, except for school! I'll do all my chores! I'll even.. Uh... Oh! Ill get the mail so nobody has to get it for us! Please give me this chance to be independent!" Your mother thought for a while. "Okay, but on one condition!" "What?" "You have to give your mama a big ol squeeze like you did when you were younger!" Do it for him. You walk up to your mother, and give her a big hug. It lasts two full minutes, but no price is too high for an opportunity like this. After the hug ends, your mom says, "Well, if you're not coming, I guess I should be leaving. I'm taking a flight, remember to call me if you need anything, take care of yourself, and be good! I'm counting on you! I love you sweetie!" In order to stay on her good side, you say, "I love you too mom!!" You watch get in her car, and drive down the street. When she's out of sight, you pull out your phone and text Vera.