14. Your Fault

The day passes by rather slowly. After the best car ride of your life, and officially getting Scott's number, it seems as though the day will never end. As if time has stopped. After your first periods of the day, it was finally time for lunch. You grabbed your tray of sloppy joe and headed toward Scott's table. He was sitting with Zoe and Oz. Apparently, you got there right after Oz was able to talk Scott out of eating the sanity Zoe packed for lunch. You took a seat next to Scott, and Zoe starts practically drooling. "Hi, (Y/N) what brings you here in that specific seat at this specific table in this specific cafeteria in this specific school at this specific time on this specific planet?" "I'm.. Hungry?" "I bet your pretty thirsty too." Zoe shoots you a wink. You're cheeks turn red and Scott pushes his energy drink towards you. "If your thirsty, you can drink some of this! I already drank half of it, but it's still good!" You look at the can, then back at Scott, smiling wide, then at Zoe. She has her phone out, obviously recording. You pick up the can take a sip. It tastes like grape. You lick your lips, Zoe's face turns all pink, and then she faints. Ignoring her, you shyly say, "T-Thanks, Scott." He says, "No problem (Y/N)!" and gives you two thumbs up. Looking over, you see Oz giving you a thumbs up too. The rest of lunch passes by in a normal way, which isn't normal at all. You notice that Damien isn't in the cafeteria, just like you didn't see him in the parking lot this morning. You decide to brush it off, and as the dismissal bell rings, Zoe wakes up. You stand up and start walking at Scott's side, but get caught by a tentacle. It pulls you back to Zoe's side, and she begins talking frantically. "So, (Y/N), what did it taste like?!" "Like a grape flavored energy drink?" "*Gaaaasp!* Grape?! GRAPE?! Everyone knows grape is Scott's favorite flavor of energy drink!! I think this is a sign!" "Zoe, I-" "No no, shut up, maaaaaybe he gave you his favorite flavor because what he really wanted was to taste a new flavor, you!!" "That makes no sense." "Or maybe he wanted YOU to discover a new flavor YOU might enjoy, him!!" As she's lost in thought, you start running away from Zoe so things don't get any weirder. You've lost Scott at this point so you just grab your things for gym and head there.

You arrive in the locker rooms to see a distressed Scott. He sees you, and runs up to you, saying, "(Y/N)! I forgot my deodorant today, can I borrow yours?!" Silently, you grab your deodorant and hand it to him. "Thank you so much, (Y/N)!" He puts it on and returns it you. A voice whispers in your ear, "He NEVER forgets his deodorant." Unsurprisingly, it's Zoe. Again. You roll your eyes at her, and she smiles. After you've finished changing, you, Scott, and others leave the locker room as well.

When it's time to play dodgeball, Coach chooses team captains. The team captains are Scott and Vera. Vera starts by choosing Polly, and Scott chooses you. You walk to the front of the room and you see Zoe, raising her eyebrows at you, likely implying something about Scott. After the teams are all sorted out, the game begins. You were one of the first ones out, so you went and sat in the sidelines. Zoe was on the other team, and when she saw you get out, she got herself out too an took a seat next to you. Before she says anything, you try to say, "Listen Zoe, I don't really feel like-" but she interrupts you. "Did you see Scott's face when you got out?!" You try to ignore her, which proves to be difficult. She continues, "He reeeeaaaalllly cares about you, (Y/N)!" Zoe looks at you, waiting for a response. You give her one. "Yeah, Zoe, he reeeaaallly cares about me, just like he reeeaaallly cares about you, about the Wolfpack, about everyone! He's nice to everyone because that's who he is! There's nothing special about me.. And there never will be." The round of the game ends, and everyone begins going back to the court for round two. Zoe, still not getting the hint, says, "Here, I'll show you how much he cares." The next round starts, and Zoe grabs a ball. She gets Scott's attention, and she throws directly at you. As the ball is hurdling towards you, Scott jumps in front of you. The ball hits him in the mouth. And he starts bleeding. Coach blows the whistle, Scott drops to his knees, and screams in pain. People rush over to help him, but you can't move. It's your fault. Zoe threw that ball because of you. You. It's your fault. It's.. Always.. Your.. Fault.... Just like...
"Alr-ght, wh-ch on- of --u bro-e it?" You did. You bro-e it. You lied though. "-t w--n't me! It -as A----us!" Your -o---r tu-ned to ---. "-ou l---le bra-!" -he -al-ed t--ard --m, and hit --m. Afterwards, as -our m--h-r wa-k-d away, ----i-s' mouth was blee-ing. "-hy -id yo- lie t- h-r?" You kneel down and say, "I know what's best, remember?" Barely holding back his tears, he says, "Y-ah.. I know.."