146. Purple Dorks

You follow your three friends outside as they lead you to the backyard of the school, where the party is still going strong. The music is still loud, and you can't help but wonder how the people who live nearby are handling the night, especially with this music. The music playing outside is nothing like the music inside, where it's full of today's popular and nostalgic songs. Out here, it's different. The music playing is not normal, but that doesn't mean it's unpopular. Inside has pop, rock, EDM, and rap. Outside, however, has Vocaloid, anime soundtracks, videogame soundtracks, and other less popular genres. You're pretty decently surprised to see how many people are outside, listening and dancing to it. A kpop song starts playing, making Zoe squeal in excitement. She says, "Oh my gosh, Oz! We need to dance! I know you know the choreo!" Zoe grabs Oz by the arm and they had out to dance, doing the moves to the song perfectly as people cheer them on. You politely hang out on the sidelines for now along with Liam.

You hear Liam scoff as you sit and watch your two dorkiest friends dance. He says, "Ugh, kpop has become too popular. I remember when you would listen to it, and people wouldn't understand. It used to be a work of art. Now everyone is always collecting photo cards and albums and other merch, it makes me sick." He takes a long, lonely sip of his punch. You slowly turn to face him. You ask, "What about that punch you're drinking? That's a classic prom drink everyone drinks it. Or that tux you're wearing? That's a pretty popular design. Or what about prom in general? It's one of the biggest social events of the year! Is it not too mainstream for you?" He shuts his mouth and continues awkwardly sipping on his punch. The song soon ends, and Zoe and Oz run back over to join you guys again. Zoe excitedly exclaims, "Eeeeee! That was so much fun! I can't believe we were able to do that! And everyone was cheering us on, it was so much fun! How'd we do, guys?" You smile politely, "You guys did well." Liam grumbles, "Yeah, it was fine." Zoe's smile grows wider, "Really? Thanks, Liam!" She pulls him into a hug that he struggles to get out of.

Seeing Zoe and Oz's dancing skills distract you from finding Scott, so you end up spending more time with your friends. You all dance to a few more songs and Liam surprisingly comes out of his shell and starts dancing along with the rest of you. You go over to a nearby table to get yourself some punch. You get a cup full and take a drink, realizing that it tastes a little off. It's faint, but you can swear that it tastes alcoholic. You go back over to the group to ask them about it.

When you return to them, they're all sitting on a bench. Liam is laughing about something, leaning on Zoe as she giggles as well. You chuckle and ask, "What did I miss?" Zoe looks up at you. She says, "We're on Reddit, reading what people have to say about these new routines by BTS. They're probably just trolls." Liam says, "Yeah, they say it was abysmal and uncoordinated?" Zoe stands up, throwing her cup on the ground. She says, "That's insane! These fuckers don't know what they're talking about! They're just using fancy words to make other stans like us mad!" Liam groans, "Yeah, we should show them what we mean. It's truly the best." Zoe and Liam stumble over to the DJ. You can't hear what they're saying, but you can see them yelling at him. After using all her tentacles to grab and seemingly threaten the DJ, he cries. Zoe and Liam walk back over with proud smiles on their faces. Liam says, "He'll play the song. It took some persuading, but we were able to negotiate." You chuckle nervously. The current song stops playing, and the next song starts playing. Zoe excitedly squeals and grabs Liam, and they head out to start their dance.

Even while they're acting the way they are, Zoe and Liam do a surprisingly good routine together. You and Oz watch, and Oz leans close to your ear, "Have they been drinking?" You chuckle and glance at him, handing him your cup of punch. He takes it and looks at it, swirling it around in the cup. He takes a sip, "O-Oh yeah, there is alcohol in this. No wonder Liam is so... Loose." Looking over, it seems the dancing has devolved, and Liam is now twerking as Zoe cheers him on. You laugh at them, and Oz says, "They did the same thing last year. They got drunk, got on Reddit, saw some slander, made a big deal about it, demanded the DJ play the song, threatened him, got what they wanted, did the dance perfectly, and started twerking. The only difference so far is..." Liam then starts throwing up on the ground, and Oz continues, "Nothing. It's the same." You laugh and walk over with Oz to check on Liam. He clutches his stomach tightly as he writhes in pain on the ground, nearly falling over into his puke pile. You help Liam to his feet and you walk inside together.

As you help Liam walk, you chuckle a little and say, "Damn, this happened last year too?" Oz sighs, "Yeah, it's nuts. If they would just learn their lesson and stop drinking the punch, they'd be fine. Polly's been spiking it for years." You ask, "But I thought Polly spiked it with boze last year?" Oz says, "Hm? Oh! No, that was the main punch bowl. The one that a majority of people are drinking from. She always spikes the other ones with alcohol." You nod your head in understanding. You suddenly hear someone yell, "(Y/N)!" You look up at the source of the voice, seeing Scott at the end of the hallway. He bounds towards you, asking, "Whoa, did Liam get wasted again?" Oz nods. Scott adds, "Don't worry, bros! I can take him!" He takes Liam away from you, and he starts running.

You, Oz, and Zoe run after him, and Scott leads you all to the teacher's lounge. Inside, multiple other students are laying or sitting with buckets nearby, and the scent of alcohol and puke fills the air. Oz sighs, "I'll stay in here with them for now. You guys go have some fun, alright?" Scott says, "Are you sure, bro? We can help you if you want!" Oz shakes his head and waves you both away, "No, you guys have done enough. I'll stay in here with my date, so you two can enjoy yours. (Y/N)'s been looking for you for a while, you know~" Oz winks at us, and you feel the heat rush to your face. Scott smiles and holds his hand out to you, and you take it. As you both leave, you say, "Thanks, Oz!"