39. Christmas Shopping

The rest of the weekend continues like normal and the next week starts, then another week passes. Now, it's lunchtime, and you're sitting at a table with Scott, Vera, Amira, Oz, Zoe, and Brian. It's the last week of school before winter break, and they're all discussing their plan. Apparently, every year, on December 26th, they celebrate an off brand Christmas. They spend Christmas with their families, and then spend the next day with eachother. This sounds fun, but there's a problem. Scott says, "You should come this year (Y/N)! It's always a lot of fun!" You sheepishly laugh. "I'd love to, but I can't. Every year, my mom takes me to my aunt's house to spend Christmas and New Year's there. We'll be leaving next Monday." Everyone gives their 'boos' and you see Scott's head sink a little bit. You scratch behind his ear and he leans towards you, getting closer for more contact. The lunch bell rings and everyone goes back to their lockers. Vera puts a hand on your shoulder and says, "You do realize you're coming to that party, right?" You respond, saying, "Obviously." "Good." She speeds off.

When you get home, your mom tells you, "Guess what sweetie?" You give her a fake smile, saying, "What mom?" "We're visiting your aunt early! We're leaving right after you get home on Friday, so you outta start getting packed now!" You're smile fades. "But mom, I'm going shopping this Friday, I wanted to get one of my friends a gift!" "Oh come on honey! It's Christmas! A family holiday! You know, friends come and go, but family lasts forever!" "Of course, mom." You go to your room and toss everything on the floor. You fall face first onto your bed, and scream into a pillow. You get on your phone, and text Vicky, telling her that you can't go on Friday, because of your mom. She responds, 'ok! we'll go on thurs!' You smile, and tell your mom. "Hey mom, I'll just go on Thursday instead!" "Uh, er.. I was actually thinking of going on Thursday! You probably shouldn't make plans, in case it doesn't work out." "But I have school Friday." "You can miss one day." You text Vicky again, and she says 'honestly any day works for me! :)' "Ah! She says anyday works!" "We could leave tomorrow!" A text from Vicky, 'even today!'. You look up at your mom. "Even. Today." "Well... You still need to pack." "It only takes me 15 minutes max to pack." Your mother thinks desperately for another excuse, but she's too late. You've already texted Vicky, and she's already on her way. You go in your room and grab some money. About 10 minutes later, she pulls up.

After your mom tells you goodbye, you rush outside to greet Vicky. You jump into the front seat, and she drives off. Along the way, you listen to the Hamilton soundtrack, learning that Vicky makes a great Elizabeth Schuyler. Once you arrive, you get out and make your way to the entrance. As you walk next to Vicky, you ask her, "So.. What do you think I should get Scott?" Vicky starts laughing, which confuses you. She says, "(Y/N), buddy, I can't tell you what to get him. You've gotta get him something." You blush, embarrassed. She continues, "You'll think of something. Honestly, you know Scott better than anyone else." "How is that possible?" Now Vicky looks confused, "What do you mean?" "I've barely been going here for four months, how do I know him more than anyone else who's known him for years?" "Ah, well I guess I don't know for sure, but here's the thing about Scott: He's super simple. He's always been into sports, he's always wanted to go pro. He's always got a smile on his face, he always cares about other people. He's dumb, and sweet, and doesn't have a care in the world. It only really takes anyone a couple weeks to understand Scott's whole deal. He never changes. But you two have been together for over a month now, right? Being his significant other, there's bound to be stuff you know that no one else knows, right?" You think for a moment, and realize a few things. Scott has expressed his concern for his grandma. When you see him interact with friends and such, he always has a smile on his face. But you know he's secretly hurting inside. You've seen it. He's so good at pretending, no one even knows anything about it. Everyone sees this adorable, happy, jock, werewolf. But you've seen the not-so-happy side. As sad as it is, it makes you happy that he trusts you so deeply. With newfound inspiration, you and Vicky begin parading around the mall, determined to find Scott the perfect gift.

After an hour or so, you find it. The perfect gift. It's a football, that squeaks, and has LED lights that shine when it hits the ground. It's all of Scott's favorite things in one, sports, squeaky toys, and pretty lights. The only problem is, it's only $5. Vicky asks, "Why exactly is that a problem?" "It's only $5." Vicky looks at you like you're crazy. You try to explain, "I love him so much, and $5 doesn't match how I feel.." Vicky sincerely puts her hand on your shoulder and starts laughing. "He's not gonna care how much you paid on his gift. Just that it comes from the heart." You suddenly hear a familiar, douchey voice. "No, I don't want to, please dude, come on Bri, I don't wanna talk to them, please, come on, ugghh." You turn around, and see a sulking Damien with Brian. Brian says, "Sup guys." Vicky says, "Maybe you two can settle something for us." You say, "Whaat? No, you guys don't need to.." Vicky says, "(Y/N) doesn't think that this football toy they got for Scott is good enough because it's only 5 bucks." Brian tries to speak, "Well, (Y/N), he won't care-" But he's interrupted by Damien, who is snickering. The three of you look at him. He looks from person to person and says, "Oh. Are you.. Are you serious?" You know you shouldn't. You really really know you shouldn't but, you can't help but listen. He continues, "It's just that, you know, Scott is an amazing guy, and all you can think to give him is a dog toy?" Vicky tries to interject, "Damien-" But he doesn't care. "And only 5 measley dollars? Is that it? Is he your boyfriend, or your pet? Are you gonna get him a leash too? Some dog food?" You clench your fists and look down at the floor, with tears in your eyes. "Treat him like a boyfriend, not a sex puppet." Bam! Vicky punches Damien square in the face. He laughs, "Oh come on, Vicky. I was just kidding." You look up at all their faces. You immediately feel gross and embarrassed. You put your hands up to hide your face, you turn around, and you run away. Damien yells, "Boo-hoo!"

After a minute of running away blindly, you eventually bump into someone, and you fall to the floor. "Watch where you're going you little.. Oh, it's you." You look up to see the leader of the Wolfpack. He grumbles and holds his hand out to you. You grab it, and he lifts you up back on your feet. He asks, "What the Hell's your problem?" You reply back, "Nothing, I'm fine." He shrugs his shoulders and you wipe the tears off your face. You ask, "Is Scott here?" "Nope. He drove us here, but he went back home because he didn't feel like going around the mall. We're waiting for him to pick us up though. What'cha got there?" He's looking at the bag you're holding. "Oh.. I got this football thing for Scott. It squeaks, and lights up and stuff but.. I was thinking of returning it." One of the other members say, "Brooo, what? Are you kidding? That thing is dope!" Another one says, "If you're gonna get rid of it, just give it to us!" They're all focusing on the bag, their tails are wagging, and they look really excited. "(Y/N)! There you are!" You turn around to see Brian and Vicky running at you. Once they catch up, Brian says, "Hey, I'm sorry about Damien, he's being a total ass right now. But hey, you know, I heard Scott's been needing a new pair of shoes lately, maybe you can get him something like that." You look at the toy you already got him. You smile, saying, "No. I think this is perfect." The Wolfpack then starts whining, making excuses like, "it's a stupid gift" or "Scott will hate it" but that only reassures you. If they want it so bad, you know Scott will love it. You tell them, "Don't you dare tell Scott about this either, I want him to be surprised." They all sadly nod their heads, and you walk away. Vicky asks, "Do you really think they'll keep it a secret?" You laugh and say, "Let's get the shoes too, just in case." Brian goes back to Damien, and you and Vicky pick out a pair of shoes you know Scott will like. Once the mall closes at 9, Vicky takes you back home.