2. Slow Beginnings

Sheldon

Life was like a tin of butter cookies.

Filled to the brim with disappointment and there were way more sharp sewing needles than expected.

One certain annoying sewing needle was showing me around the school.

Haresa waved a hand towards the bathrooms with a finality. "And there are the bathrooms for this floor. There's also a single gender-neutral bathroom so don't worry about whether you should go to the male or female bathrooms if you're not comfortable. Do you have any questions?"

"Have you been bored without me around, hare?" My eyes flicked down to Haresa's twitching hand.

"No. Anyways." Haresa spun towards me and gave me a pointed finger gun. "What's your pronouns?"

I couldn't help but squint my eyes at that. "Why?"

"Just because we had a bad history doesn't mean I can't respect your damn pronouns." Haresa looked away from me. "Now, do you go by male pronouns or was this all a big mix up and you actually go by other pronouns?"

"He and him are fine, yes." When will this conversation end?

"Just wanted to make sure."

Haresa proceeded to stare me down with rodent-like eyes. This child really hadn't changed. Even the hairstyle was the same since we were children. Even the bright yellow clothing still hurt my eyes.

My hand slowly reached towards my glasses before I adjusted them. "What? Is there something on my face?"

"My pronouns." The words were said slowly.

I gave a curt nod. "Yeah? Everyone has pronouns. Did you just realize that?"

Haresa gave out a heavy sigh. "You know what? I am just they/them to you, got it?"

"Okay but... why would I want to talk about you?"

Their face instantly scrunched up and their nose twitched. They still looked like a hare.

"It's only the first day, please don't cause any trouble." They paused for a moment. "Actually, this goes for the rest of the year too. Don't go causing trouble. Period."

"Do you classify me annoying you as causing trouble?"

"I am not answering that."

I gave an irritated sigh. "Alright, then I'll be heading home now."

"What?"

"What is it?"

They had a look of disapproval. "You're going to skip school?"

"Yes. Absolutely."

"Why?"

"I am not going to give a villain speech. I am not obligated to monologue to you. We are not in a middle of a fight that can be covered by our licences."

"I asked why as a respected student of this school. Not why as the amazing superhero that can kick your ass."

"I remember that you couldn't lay a single hand on me the last time we faced off."

"Why. Are. You. Skipping."

"Christ, fine." I threw my hands up in the hand in defeat. "From my research, attendance for passing only is required for sixty percent for each class."

"Uh-huh." They nodded slowly.

"So, if I stick to a strict regimen and only appear when I am required to, as well as taking whatever assignment and handing it in, then I will be able to pass with the bare minimum."

"But education is so valuable! You get to learn new concepts and new ideas! Sure, it sucks sometimes but it's important so you can build on life skills," they sputtered.

"And I've been homeschooling myself for many years at this point but nobody wants to acknowledge that I'm the smartest guy in this fucking city."

"What do you have to prove that you're the smartest?"

I ran a hand through my hair and gritted my teeth. I couldn't tell them. They would destroy my hard work. They'll just think it's some sort of evil scheme and just hand it over to the authorities like it was nothing.

"Forget it. You wouldn't understand."

"As much as I don't want you here at this school, I'd rather you stay here so these stupid bracelets can restrict you." They held up the arm and pointed at it with their other hand to display the metal band on their wrist.

"It's exactly why I don't want to be here more than required. This thing is itchy and it makes me want to claw my arm off. What the hell do they put in these things?"

"You'll get used to it eventually. Anyways, you're technically my responsibility now so I can't have you doing whatever you want."

"I'm here for a piece of legal paper," I snapped. "I never wanted to see you ever again so I have a proposition. You leave me alone and I'll leave you alone. Understood?"

Their hostile stare now darkened. They slowly nodded and I let out a huff.

"Anyways, bye. If you have to talk to me again, then keep it short." I rolled my eyes. "If I had any control over our situations, I would make it so we never had to meet again."

I haven't uttered a phrase like that in years. The last time I spoke to the hare was our last fight. It almost felt nostalgic to remember.

Those days were behind me now. I may have been a child villain but I was tired of competing with rabbits and birds. I needed something that would stick to my pace in life.