13. An Attack

Haresa

It was too quiet.

The app said there was a robbery happening but I wasn't sure what was happening.

I moved through the empty bank carefully. No people could be seen in the building. The dark brown counters were empty and the lights weren't even on. The only light shone through the large windows of the bank and my shadow stretched out over the grey tile floor.

Was I too late?

"Hello?" I called out. "This is Haresa. I'm here to uh... save the day?"

The notification alerted me only a minute ago. There was no way I was late especially with my super speed.

If this was a trap, I swear–

I didn't finish that thought since I stepped on a trap.

The floor gave out underneath me. I hopped on the falling tile and landed on the edge of the hole.

Well, looks like someone wants to just toy with me so I better just leave this place. Maybe ask for assistance from the hero's union.

I made my way back to the entrance and I pulled on the handle. It didn't budge.

You got to be kidding me. They locked the freaking doors.

I could just break them and leave.

After a pause, I vigorously shook my head.

No, no. I'm on hero business. What if this was a big operation that needed to be taken down? Who would be stopping them?

I couldn't just abandon this and possibly risk people's lives.

There just wasn't something right with this place. If they wanted to lure me in here, did they want to trap me? Revenge?

I took out my phone and decided to search up the name of the bank. Well, there was a website and the address was listed on it. So, it seems to be a legit bank at the least.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. Okay, super hearing. Don't fail me now.

There was an echo beneath me. I could hear small rushes of wind flowing what sounded like a large space, much bigger than the area I was standing in. Then... there was a small clicking that got faster and higher pitched by the second.

Arrows flew from the other side of the room and the room. I ducked. The arrows stuck out of the wall and I pressed my lips together.

There was a ring. My eyes shot up and saw one of the phones by the desk ringing. That could be my first clue.

The ground beneath me began to shake. I took it as my cue to move. I jogged but quickly sped up when I realized the tiles were only falling away quicker. I jumped to the counter and held on tight. I looked down and saw that there was a decimated basement. I quickly climbed onto the counter and picked up the ringing phone. This better have been worth my time.

"Thank you for playing, Haresa." The voice raspy and high-pitched. I swear I heard this voice before.

I opened my mouth to respond but I heard a click. I looked at the screen of the dialer.

The line went dead.

I slammed the phone down and closed my eyes shut. Did I just waste my time?

My head lifted up and I analyzed the surroundings. For a bank, it was strange they had no cameras. It was probably dismantled for this whole show. I couldn't see anything else that could mask as a camera either. What was going on?

I sighed and took my phone out of my pocket. I suppose I should call my dad and see if there was anyone that could be behind this. My eyes drifted down to my hand and I paused.

Strange. The screen was on.

That was when I noticed a strange symbol at the top of the screen. It looked like a video symbol.

It quickly blinked away.

Maybe I accidentally pressed something while I was running around. It wouldn't be the first time it happened. Dad should have a look at it. Looked like it was more than just my clothes that needed to be hero proof.