69. Chaperone

Haresa

It had been dead end after dead end and all the answers found so far only led to more questions.

Sheldon seemed to know something was happening and everything was related to him but he didn't want to share anything with me. Quite honestly, I didn't even know if he had anything to share in the first place.

"Everything okay?"

Dad peered over the couch and found me sprawled across it with papers littering the floor around me. My hair was half tied up as many strands fell through my fingers while I was lost in my daze.

"Yeah," I said as if I was surprised by my own response.

"What time come back?"

"Um, maybe seven. We're just going out for food." I looked at my phone to check the time.

"Let me know if need pick up." He rubbed a hooked finger against my cheek and I swatted it away.

"Okay. Thanks, Pa."

"Are you ready yet? Rudra said he'll be at the restaurant in five minutes," Sheldon called out.

Sheldon seemed eager to get the show on the road as he put on a sleeker turtle neck with the sleeves rolled up. His wardrobe didn't seem to have a lot of variety but this outfit looked the least scuffed up. I wonder if he had bought it for the date.

He gave me a look as if to tell me that we were running behind schedule and I raised an eyebrow.

"You could've gone ahead without me, I've still got super speed," I scoffed.

"I can't travel that fast."

"Lies. I know you travel to and from school faster than me somehow."

"I can't in this situation, it's not," he paused before speaking again "work appropriate."

"And travelling to and from school is?"

"Education is the foundation of a career," Sheldon said offhandedly.

"You sound like my dad." I patted my satchel making sure that I had packed what I needed. "How are you even talking to Rudra anyways? You don't have a phone."

"I used your home phone." He looked at his watch. "Can we leave now?"

He seemed so obviously excited about the date that I could only feel unease in my stomach but I nodded. "Yeah, let's get going. Do you have an idea of how to get there or are we taking the subway?"

I huffed and had my forearm against the wall the moment we entered the restaurant.

"I thought you didn't like being carried," I wheezed. I needed to work on my upper arm strength. My speed wasn't the issue but carrying a teenage boy was trickier than the first time I had attempted it.

"I don't but I can tolerate it if it's for drastic situations."

"So, us being chased down by a literal super-powered human wasn't a drastic situation?"

"That's just a Tuesday for us and you know that." He smoothed down his shirt and I could see his face turn slightly red. "This isn't an ordinary situation."

Now that I thought of it, he doesn't really interact with anyone outside of the GSA club.

"Haresa! Sheldon!"

Rudra had his red blazer on and I had to stop myself from letting my mouth hang open. I couldn't believe he brought out the blazer. He usually only brings those out for dates with guys he was desperate to impress.

I look back and forth between the two boys and they didn't seem to be able to keep their eyes off each other. I wiped my forehead and took the seat next to Rudra clumsily. They both didn't seem to notice as they began their conversation and the sneaking thought of my bed came to mind.

It hadn't even been ten minutes and I couldn't believe I wanted to go home already.

I opened the menu and glanced over it despite knowing what I wanted. Rudra had taken me to the small Indian restaurant a few times already so it was no surprise that he wanted to take Sheldon to one of his favourite places.

"Oh yeah, Haresa," Rudra turned his attention to me. "Mia said she was looking for you."

I tensed up. "She was?"

"Yeah, she said that she needed to talk to you about GSA stuff."

"Why didn't you just text me it?"

"I forgot," Rudra shrugged. "Your face reminded me to tell you."

Sheldon chortled.

I got out my phone and looked to see if she had sent me any messages before frowning. "She could've just texted me."

"She didn't?" Rudra asked and I shook my head. "That's weird."

Sheldon and Rudra went back to their conversation and I could see Rudra pointing out all of his favourites on the menu while Sheldon gave a shy yet enthusiastic response. Sheldon actually looked happy which was... strange. Not that it was bad, I just haven't seen it in a setting where I wasn't trying to foil an evil plot.

I excused myself and found myself standing outside to text Mia. It took a few tries but I left it at saying a quick hi and telling her what I heard from Rudra.

I stared at my phone for some time to see if she would reply. I didn't expect her to reply right away but I kept waiting anyways. Three dots appeared and I could see Mia was typing out her response.

Mia: Yeah, I wanted to talk in person about it.

I texted back quickly saying that doing it over text was fine. It wasn't like she was breaking up with me again.

Mia: I was actually thinking of quitting GSA. Would you be alright becoming the president?

All thoughts left my brain at that moment. I couldn't believe my eyes as I read over what she just texted me. Before I properly could think it over or even process what that meant for the club, I gave her my response.

I was taking over the club.