65. Responsible

Haresa

My eyes were on Sheldon and the ceiling cracked open to reveal a helicopter. Shock and surprise flooded his face and all of the audience attempted to flee through the doors.

The security guards blocked the entrances and attempted to tell people to stay seated as it was too dangerous for everyone to flee through the exits in a panicked manner.

"What are you standing around for? You're the hero, go save us!"

I didn't realize the heckle was directed toward me until more people began to jeer and shout at me. I feverishly scanned the crowd to see if there were any other heroes that I could team up with or even take the lead but the slow realization crept up on me.

I was alone and it was my responsibility to save everyone.

The girl who was fighting against Sheldon had jumped off the stage to get to a safer area while he just stared up in bewilderment.

There was another figure who was twirling a baton and I could see there was a second one nestled in a sheath on his back. The person had descended from the helicopter's ladder so calmly that I almost didn't notice. The jeering and the helicopter's blades were too loud and distracting.

"You got this Haresa!" Rudra shouted as he locked eyes with me and I could feel my eyes begin to sting.

I need to stop that person.

I shakily stood to my feet and turned towards the crowd. "I'll do everything in my power to stop them."

The crowd had a mixture of cheers and people remarking "finally" but I put my focus on the intruders.

I gulped and inhaled shakily. I didn't bring any of my dad's repair cubes.

Sheldon had already begun sparring against the unknown intruder while cussing loudly.

"Why are you going after me you fucking freak?!" Sheldon shouted as he dodged another hit.

"Sounds like it's my cue to give a monologue. Um," The person's head was tilted to the side in thought. "Where should I start?"

I jumped towards the stage with my fist raised, letting myself fly as high as I could into the air to grab any bad guy's attention. "You can start by surrendering!"

The intruder didn't seem to pay any attention to me and just gave a dismissive wave. The person had stopped abruptly and Sheldon copied. Sheldon didn't seem to want to fight anyone in the first place.

My mouth pulled into a frown and I began to throw my fist down. That was when I noticed I was moving slower than usual.

"Ah, yeah. I remembered what I was doing now," the person shifted towards me and I could see flashcards. "I'm Carabao, the wonder buffalo boy, and I've been assigned to steal some things. Since this isn't my master plan, I don't have to divulge anything and will let the mastermind reveal the whole plot when the peak is reached. Whenever that is."

That was the most unenthusiastic break-in speech I've ever heard in my life.

I didn't have to hold back my laugh since my body was in slow motion and I could only feel the dread sink into my chest. Everything was already slow as it is, but this was just a painful speed.

"Wow, I'm impressed," Sheldon had taken the opportunity to get close to my face and analyze it. "What did you do? Is it your power or is it a gadget I can stea-buy from you?"

"Hm?" Carabao seemed to have been too preoccupied with his flashcards and was processing what he was looking at. "Oh, right. I forget how slow everyone is around me."

I crashed to the ground. My head throbbed and I was gasping wildly.

"Huh, I thought that would last longer than that." Carabao spun his batons. "Oh well."

That was when he charged.