10. The Searchlight

Sheldon

How many times would I have to visit the damn principal's office?

I had been sitting here for hours already and it was already lunchtime. I could hear lots of arguing outside the door and I could see the police lights blinked outside the window. I felt like if I was trying to escape prison, I was immediately caught by the searchlight and now had to face repercussions.

Ms. Morgan slammed the door behind her as she entered the room. I heard the door click open again and a police officer came into my view. I instantly tensed up, unsure on whether to be worried or ready to attack.

If only I didn't have this stupid bracelet on. It would be easier to just escape them all. I needed a plan.

I ran a hand through my hair. I didn't calculate all these possibilities. I needed more time to think.

"Mr. Phan, could you recount your events for me again?" The officer asked gruffly.

"Well, you see..." I continued to explain my story to the officer.

The police officer wrote into the notepad. I tapped my foot against the ground, unsure of what the police officer was thinking. Every so often a low hum would be let out in response to something I said and I only got tenser. They weren't going to believe me.

Ms. Morgan cleared her throat. "You see, officer. I have a duty to protect my students and that paparazzi was trespassing when I had asked them to leave. Not only that but Sheldon here was terrified. He has to wear a power suppressant and the intruder sneaks up behind him. We all know that schools are supposed to be power-free zones."

I slowly blinked. What? What was she doing? Did she want to get thrown into jail with me as an accomplice or something?

"Yes, I hear your concerns, miss. This is definitely a problem." The officer pocketed the notepad and pen. "We'll handle it from here. The guy was being abrasive and uncooperative earlier so we had to detain him. Now that we know the details of the situation, he won't be getting off that easy."

"Thank you, officer. I hope the footage will also aid you."

"Yes, they certainly will." The officer walked to the door. "Also, don't forget to eat. Sorry, for taking so long."

"No worries, thank you for your work." Ms. Morgan replied.

The door clicked close and I sat there wide-eyed and stunned. I wasn't in trouble?

"What's wrong? Did you get injured?" Ms. Morgan asked me and I blinked.

"I'm not required to do anything else?"

"No, why?"

I rolled my foot to its side. "I just thought that... being a villain and all."

"You're just another student to me. You haven't done anything that warranted any disciplinary actions."

I slowly nodded. "So, that means I don't have to do anything about breaking that guy's camera?"

"You acted out of self-defence. I don't think he'll be able to do anything seeing as he broke a lot of laws." Ms. Morgan waved a hand. "You're dismissed now."

"Why?"

"Because you're allowed to leave?"

"No... I mean... I..." I put the palm of my hand on my forehead. I didn't even know what to think. "Uh... thank you?"

"You're very welcome, Sheldon." She gave me a reassuring smile and I made my way out of the office.

The rest of the day felt like a blur and I couldn't focus properly. What the hell was wrong with the world?