36. Letters

Sheldon

I unlocked the tiny metal box for any mail I might've gotten over the past week.

There wasn't much but there was something that seemed important. Especially since it was stamped with large red letters on the envelope. It was from the villain's union.

I immediately ripped it open with my teeth and began to read the contents.

Dear Sheldon Phan,

It's been four years since your last public appearance and we are informing you that if you do not perform a major heist or scheme within a year, your license will be revoked. We have been notified about this prior and if you wish to continue being part of the union, you must be an active villain with a license.

If you are in need of any ideas, you can visit our site for the unclaimed sponsors lined up for the month or you can read our monthly blog for inspiration.

Regards,

Tattle Tails Union

I grimaced and rubbed my temple with a finger.

"Excuse me, I need to get to my mail." An old lady stood there with a key in hand.

I nodded and quickly locked my box before getting out of the way. I shoved the mail into my pockets and

I began making my way up the stairs to my apartment as I mulled over its contents.

I couldn't lose my villain license. It was the only reason why I didn't have to worry about getting food on the table. But I do need to start thinking about the long-term money situation. The pre-payment for the apartment won't last forever.

It might be good to make a comeback... or a so-called debut with a new identity.

I already changed my villain name with the union. I could cover up my face with a mask of some sort.

This will take serious planning and supplies.

I slammed the door behind me and I made a beeline to my room. After a few minutes of fumbling with my door, I found myself staring blankly at my room.

An alter ego... Haresa would probably know it'd be me instantly. It wasn't like it was easy to deceive someone you're forced to interact with every day. They could even recognize me in a hazmat suit when we were younger. I tried so hard to control the adult-sized exoskeleton too.

I just needed to hide my identity to the public and those that wouldn't remember a twelve-year-old Shelly.

A voice changer would be good. My hair has already changed a lot and I look nothing like I did four years ago.

I picked up a few tools and began my work. I didn't even have to be a big name either. I just needed to keep my villain license and I can just go back into hiding.

It would be better not to use my powers unless necessary too. That would be the biggest giveaway. Especially if there were going to be multiple cameras recording my every move to serve as entertainment to the masses.

My eyes scanned the room and landed on an old backpack amongst the mess. I had that kept all my miscellaneous tech and the gears in my head began to turn.

I had a plan. I worked too hard to be caught now.

I yanked the mail out from my pocket and skimmed over the list portion. I should actually check what kind of gigs I wanted to do before I crafted all my stuff.