24. Food Centre

Sheldon

Why do bodies need to run on food? Photosynthesizing seemed like a much more efficient way for the body to feed. If not photosynthesizing then I propose hibernation be part of human biology.

I sighed to myself as I dragged my feet around the grocery store. What goodies could I find in this store? I hoped they had some dignity in stock because I know I need it.

I shuffled my feet to the shelves of canned goods and shifted the cans around as my eyes scanned over the best before dates. I was able to find cans of tomato sauce and chickpeas that has already passed their best before dates. Maybe I could find some dried pasta to top off this haul. If there were some dented cans of other goods it would only make this better.

"Sheldon?"

I felt myself tense up as I looked to see who it was. It seemed like it was a guy around my age. I couldn't remember where I saw his face before but it was definitely not the first time that I'd seen it. Was he the kid that hung out around Haresa?

He was carrying a single giant tub of yogurt and had a dishevelled appearance. He was wearing a plain blue t-shirt and shorts with flip-flops. He tilted his head to the side to avoid even more awkward eye contact which showed off more of his sharp features.

"Who the hell are you?" I grumbled.

"I'm Rudra, I'm from your English class? I sit in front of Haresa. We're also in GSA together."

So, he was friends with the stupid hare.

"Cool, bye." I began to walk away in search for more unsellable cans.

He put a hand on my shoulder but I shrugged it off. "H-hey! I thought it was cool that we ran into each other here. I'd really like to get to know more about you."

"Why? Do you want to record and report my every move to Haresa? Become their sidekick?"

"I don't want to dip my hands into the hero business unless I had powers–which I don't have for your information."

I sighed internally at my predicament and sifted through the shelves again. "Oh, good. I can easily take you hostage and threaten Haresa with you."

"Your eyes are puffy and you look tired as hell. The only thing you're taking hostage of are those cans."

I stiffened at the remark before pulling out another can. "You caught me, I'm not really a villain. I'm just a licenced no name."

I stood up and began to walk to the check-out aisle, exhausted from the conversation.

"Do you want to talk that out? I saw you had a hard time yesterday."

My cheeks instantly burned up at the thought of me flopping onto the ground in the club room. "I'm fine now."

"I've dealt with my fair share of heartbreak so I know a thing or two on coping with emotions." He swung his free arm around as he talked to me.

"Who said anything about breakups?" I placed my items on the conveyer belt and Rudra annoyingly reached over to get a divider. He put it down and put his yogurt there.

He raised an eyebrow at me. "I didn't say breakups, I said heartbreak. Heartbreak can be from anyone."

I gritted my teeth. "Whatever."

"Hello there, how are you doing today?" The cashier asked in a monotone.

"Could be better," I took out my villain licence and handed it over to the cashier.

"What basis are you stealing these items today? Protesting the food industry's mass food waste again?"

I loaded up the items into my backpack. "Yeah, put queer youth homelessness on top of that."

She punched a few buttons on her computer and slid the card before handing it back to me. "Alright, thank you for your business. Please come again soon. Next."

I pocketed the card and zipped up my bag. "Thanks."

"Wait, could I get this yogurt for free too?" Rudra asked bewilderedly. "I'm gay?"

"Do you have a villain license?"

"No?"

"Then no."

I didn't stick around for the rest of the interaction and made my way out of the store. That was when I heard footsteps slapping against the pavement and I scowled.

"Sheldon, wait!"

"What is it?" I whirled my head around and Rudra was hunched over trying to catch his breath.

"I'm cooking today at home. My family won't be there so you don't have to worry about talking to more people."

I instinctively took a step back. "And why would I come over to your house?"

He straightened up and wiped the sweat off his forehead. "I've got ice cream and we can watch movies at my place. After what happened yesterday, I feel like you deserve a break."

"I've never had ice cream."

His jaw dropped. "Okay, we need to fix that."

He looped his arm around mine and I stared at him before just resigning to my fate.

I suppose I'm doing this now.