14. A Defense

Sheldon

I trudged through the portal and threw my bag onto the couch. I was still in disbelief at the fact that heroes could take on and off the stupid bracelets whenever they wanted.

Why couldn't villains get a card to take off power restrictors? What if I had a villain related emergency I had to attend to? Like... maybe I had to slap the smug smile off of a stupid hero's face.

I made my way into the kitchen while grumbling to myself. I opened the fridge and chugged the last of the orange juice, not noticing Reynard sitting on the counter.

"You came home really late today. Did something else happen?" Reynard had his eyebrow raised in doubt.

I closed the door shut and closed my eyes. That surprised me. I turned my head to Reynard and saw he was eating out of a plastic container of what I assumed was the leftover takeout from the other night.

"I found out that heroes can just take off the bracelets whenever they want with those stupid hero cards they have." I shrugged.

"How did you find that out?" Reynard scooped a spoonful of takeout into his mouth.

"The hero got an emergency call then SWISH, the bracelet is on the ground, they jumped out of the window, and I'm left there with my itchy bracelet wondering what the fuck just happened. The teacher supervising had to explain after how and why they were allowed to do that." I put my hands down and pressed my lips together. I didn't think I would get that animated.

Reynard held the back of his hand to his mouth and began to laugh.

"What? What's so funny?" I was next to him at this point and leaned towards him, hoping that it would make him spit out the truth.

His arm wrapped over my shoulders and pulled me closer to him. He set down the container on the counter and before I knew it, his legs were wrapped around my waist as well.

"You're just so cute." His other hand pinched my cheek and I swatted it away.

"I am not."

"You very much are."

I leaned in to kiss him and he tilted his head away. "Nuh uh. You have to admit you're cute if you want a kiss."

"Fine, I can go without. I have to work anyways."

"Homework?" Reynard raised an eyebrow.

"No, that I easily finished during the classes."

"Then... your ultra super secret project then?"

I snickered and grabbed his arm. "Why did you say it that way?"

"Because you don't tell me anything about the project." He rolled his eyes.

I shook my head. "Well, I can't risk any information leaks."

"But you don't trust me?" His lips formed into a small pout and tried to make puppy dog eyes. It didn't really work since I was on the floor and he was sitting on the counter still.

"I do, which is why you know about the project. I don't want to bore you with the details." I pulled away and walked into the living room.

I heard a thump and could hear Reynard scurry after me. I felt his arms wrap around me and I couldn't stop myself from smiling.

"You won't bore meeeee."

"I willllll. Now let me just go work."

"But I missed youuu. I'm going to be so busy next week and I want to spend the most time with you." He placed his head on my shoulder. "How often do you have to go to these meetings, hm?"

I half-heartedly tried to escape his grasp by swaying side to side but he wouldn't let go. "I have to go every Monday after school."

"Do you have to go too?"

"Unfortunately. If I want my degree, I have to keep doing all this crap."

"That sucks." He gave a light peck on my cheek. "I'll miss you so much."

"I'll miss you too."

"Now, I really need to work on the project now." I removed his arms and I could hear him sigh.

I kept a straight face. If I told him what I had planned, it would just ruin the surprise. I only needed more time.

I turned around and cupped his face in my hands. He tilted his head and stared back with curious eyes. His narrow eyes never could pull off the puppy dog look that well. He was too cunning to ever look innocent but I still found him cute and endearing anyways. Maybe it was because he was a part-time villain or it was because I was a registered villain but either way, I liked him.

"I promise when I'm done, we'll get to spend more time together. It shouldn't take that long anyways. Just one more week."

"Mm, okay."

I kissed him and he headed back to the kitchen while I made my way to the bedroom. I took off my glasses. I yanked an arm off of the glasses to reveal a key and I put it into the door handle.

When I was done with this, I bet Reynard will be so shocked and happy that he'll never stop talking about it.