3. The Last Encounter

Note: Sheldon as a kid will be referred to with she/her pronouns via the perspective of Haresa as a kid. A lot of the flashbacks will be using the pronouns the characters used as kids because they haven't fully worked out their gender identities or had come out at that time. If this makes any uncomfy, this is your heads up.

Haresa

It was never easy to be the only child superhero in the city. My worries and fears were completely different from other kids.

Regular kids had to worry about creepy men giving away candy in a big white van.

On the other hand, I had to constantly worry about being accidentally held hostage in a robbery.

There were zip ties around my wrists and it was uncomfortably pressed up against my back. I grunted as I wriggled around while trying to seem as calm as possible. Seemed like I wouldn't be able to get out of this bind easily. There was an adult next to me tied up as well but she seemed uninterested by the whole ordeal. It seemed like it was a regular occurrence to her.

"What's with the twerp?" The gruff voice of one of the perpetrators called out to the other.

"I'm not a twerp!" My whine was loud and annoying enough to make the man wince.

He scowled. "How old are you kid?"

"I'm turning twelve in three months!"

"You're still a twerp then."

"Hey!"

"Enough. She's going to make her appearance soon. We need to get into our place and make sure we're in character," another man barked.

"Why the hell do we have to wear these stupid-looking hats?" The first guy was holding up a weird-looking helmet. It was gold and it was shaped like the top half of an egg.

They definitely seemed like henchmen and not villain masterminds.

"It's not only good looking but it's also safety equipment."

"It's spray-painted gold with cardboard. You'd think we'd at least have something with better craftmanship–"

"Silence."

A woman stood in front of the group with white wings stretched out from her sides and she was wearing a white and black bodysuit with gold accents. She had a gold mask with feather details covering her eyes and her lips were smeared orange. Her hair black and white hair was tied into a bun, probably to avoid it getting tangled with her wings.

"Oh my god, not you again." I groaned loudly.

"Excuse me?!" Her mouth was open in outrage. "Do you not know I am one of the greatest villains in the area? I am Goosette!"

"Then why don't any of your plans succeed?" A henchman muttered which prompted an elbow jab.

I let out an irritated sigh and lift my arms over my head before placing them in my lap.

"Holy crap, how did the kid do that?" A henchman gasped.

"I dunno, I heard my teacher say that I had to be double-jointed or something. It's like my superpower."

"Very funny kid." Goosette narrowed her eyes at me. "Do I know you?"

"Haresa."

"I don't recall still."

I tilted my head to the side. "The hero."

"I know many heroes." She flipped a strand of dark hair over her shoulder.

"The one made in a lab?"

"There are many lab people."

"The one that you fought at city hall."