4. The Last Straw

Sheldon

"What do you mean that I'm required to participate in extracurricular activities?"

I sat in the principal's office once again. Nobody was willing to take off my bracelet. In the middle of my scheming, Ms. Morgan had found me standing in the hallway and made me follow her to her office again.

Ms. Morgan took a seat at her desk and gathered up a stack of papers before straightening them out.

"We have a responsibility of taking care of superpowered minors and making sure that they are enriched with other activities. Now, I know you are already licenced and are considered a professional but according to the education act for super minors, educational institutions are responsible for making sure that they are to participate in everyday activities."

I held back a scowl. "That's a dumb law."

"This is to ensure that super-powered individuals do not feel like villainy or heroism is their only career path. There has been a lot of research put into it and we are trying to ensure the well-being of all of our students."

"You just want me to stay on the premises so that I don't have as many opportunities to use my powers."

"Unfortunately, that is how it is. Minors with powers have less control over their powers in general. Unless you suddenly get a hero licence and have access to a hero training centre, you're out of luck."

"You got to be kidding me."

"No, I am not kidding you," Ms. Morgan replied in an uninterested tone. "Anyways, what would you like to join? We have a great variety of clubs and sports teams."

"First you record my weaknesses–"

"We just asked if you have any allergies."

"–And now you're demanding to spend my precious time on useless activities?"

"It's either that or you can ask your parents to homeschool you."

I silently sat there as I cursed my creator to hell and back in my head. I'm not an ordinary student. Why do I have to pretend that I am?

Ms. Morgan slid a piece of paper towards me and I let out a sigh. I grabbed the paper off of the desk and began to read through the list.

"At the moment, some of our clubs are preparing for major events so you might feel overwhelmed."

"What has the least amount of effort?"

"I would suggest you ask fellow students or teachers overseeing the specific clubs to find out about it. I'm far too busy to know everything about each club."

My eyes glanced over the sheet before they stopped. "What the hell is GSA?"

"Language," Ms. Morgan gave me a glare and I averted my gaze. "It's the Genders and Sexualities Alliance. It's a great little support group for students that also do activism. Mr. Dunson also is a very nice teacher that helps students if they ever feel like they need to talk to a trusted adult."

It doesn't sound too bad. "I suppose I'll do that then."

"Fantastic. I'll make sure Haresa introduces you and help you get familiar with everything."

"Why them? Wouldn't it be better if a member of the GSA shows me around instead?"

"They are part of the GSA."

If I could scream, I would've. For now, I had to settle for screaming internally.

"I'll make sure to let them know that you're joining the GSA," Ms. Morgan wrote something down on the paper. "Since it's only the end of the semester we don't have extracurricular activities. They will resume next week."

"Can I... actually change my mind?"

"Of course. Is there anything else that piques your interest?"

I looked down and scrunched up my face. Sports were a waste of my energy. The rest were... cultural clubs. Why didn't they have anything cool like a 'receive a free diploma' club?

"Ugh. Okay. I'll stick with GSA." A groan escaped from me but I didn't care at this point. "Is there anything else you need from me?"

"I just wanted to ask how your dad is doing. I haven't met him yet."

"My creator is doing just fine."

"Is that what he makes you call him?"

My jaw locked. "No."

"I see." Ms. Morgan lifted her head and looked directly at me. "If you have any issues at home, don't feel discouraged from talking to me or any other staff. Even if you may be considered a villain, you are a student first and foremost."

Did she always get this sentimental? She barely knows who I am.

"Noted. Thanks."

"It's no problem, now get back to class. I expect to see you here tomorrow as well."

I got up from my seat and mumbled a goodbye before exiting the office. Who the hell set up these stupid rules? They don't make any sense.

I just had to survive for a year and a half. I've been through worse. I just had to put up with that goody-goody hero. This shouldn't be so hard.