33. Old Flame

Haresa

I stared at my homework sheet and the questions became a blur in my head.

I didn't understand this math lesson too well and it was coming to bite me back.

I looked up from my work and observed the small yet crowded library. Baskets of an assortment of snacks were placed on the tables by the school librarian.

My mind wandered to yesterday's talk with Sheldon and I felt a pang of sadness in my chest.

Weapon? I don't remember much of the exact details of his schemes as a kid but I really thought he was more independent with his acts.

I rubbed my forehead with the back of my hand. It was getting too hot in here. I wasn't sure if it was due to my late-night hero work or just due to the number of people in the room.

I still haven't been able to find much with the information Goosette had given me yet either. It was going to take me days to pin down anyone on the list. Companies, people, aliases... it was a lot.

"Hey, is it alright if I hang out at this table? It looks like everywhere else is filled."

My heart stopped. Mia was in front of me and she was wearing a flowy long orange skirt and peach blouse to match. Her bag sat on her lap and had one hand on her wheelchair's wheel.

"Y-yeah." I gathered my books to the side to make space for her stuff.

"Thanks."

She rolled up to the table and began to unpack her stuff.

I went back to staring at my worksheet with my heart pounding against my ribcage. I just had to act cool. It's been some time since we broke up. Everything should be okay. I just have to science. No wait, wasn't I doing math questions?

"How has your job been doing lately?"

I jumped in my seat but quickly regained my composure by leaning on my arm. "It's been busy but nothing I can't handle."

"Are you going to get a costume any time soon?" She asked playfully.

It looked like she was working on a project for art class as she had an array of colour-coordinated pencil crayons in an opened metal box and a sketchbook.

"Not yet. I might be able to get an officially sanctioned one with my union but I don't know if they'll do that now due to... recent changes."

"That's a shame. I hope everything works out for you." She gave a smile and began to sketch aggressively into her notebook.

I let out a strangled sound of confirmation and cleared my throat. "Anything new with you lately?"

"Not much since the break."

I wonder if she meant winter break or our breakup. Probably both.

"Classes going well?" I twirled my pencil between my fingers, hoping it would calm me.

"Sort of. The art teacher, Ms. Leslie if you remember, just left for maternity. I was thinking of dropping out of the class."

"What? Why? Is the new teacher bad?"

"Bad is an understatement, this guy specializes in science and math." She let out an irritated sigh. "I love art but the guy gave me a B for my last assignment. I don't want my average to drop."

"That really sucks."

"Yeah."

She went back to working on her art and I tried to focus on my sheet. After staring at the sheet for some time I eventually realized I wasn't going to get it done now that I was worrying over Mia.

"Hey, Haresa?"

I jumped in my seat again. "Yeah?"

"I missed hanging out as friends."

The word "friend" dropped on me like bricks.

I attempted to give her a smile. "Me too."

"Think we can make time this weekend? Unless you have heroing to do..." There was a twinge of annoyance in her last sentence.

I waved my hands. "I'll text you later on a good time. I'll see if I used up my hours yet too so it can't interfere."

"Sounds good."

We both went back into an awkward silence and I couldn't help but think back to the last times we talked during the break.

The door opened suddenly and Sheldon stood there. He did not look happy.