37. Shoe Store

Haresa

"Haresa! Over here!"

Mia was next to the bus stop and was waving for me. I jogged over to her with a smile. The street was quieter than usual

"Sorry I was a little late, the subway got delayed." I smoothed down my jeans in hopes that I looked semi-presentable.

Mia just smiled at me and put her hands on her wheels. "No worries. Ready to go?"

"Yep!" I smiled nervously. "I didn't bring that much money since I'm saving up so I'll just browse with you."

"That's cool with me." She began to push her wheels and I followed after her. "There was this one place that had a really cute pair of shoes. I wanted to see if they had my size."

"Let's go there first then!"

"Just don't get too excited that you run off with your super legs," Mia laughed.

"That was one time." I felt heat spread across my face and she rolled her eyes.

"Sure."

Mia pressed the door push button and wheeled herself into the store. I was about to follow until someone walked in front of me.

"Oh, sorry. Were you going to walk—"

"It's fine. You can just go in first." I said quickly.

The person made their way inside and I held the door open for them before walking inside. Mia was waiting for me near the entrance and had her hands folded on her lap.

"Got held up?"

I chuckled nervously. "I guess I'm not that fast anymore."

"Now I can say I beat the fastest hero in the neighbourhood." Mia's eyes sparkled with humour.

"You would be a shoe in for the Power Squad," I joked back.

We continued to make our way through the store and Mia inspected the shelves. She seemed to know what shoes she was looking for but she couldn't seem to find the style she wanted.

"I swear I saw them here..."

"What style were they? Sneakers? Flats? Heels?" I tapped my hand against my leg.

"Wedges actually." She continued to browse through the shelves.

I clapped my hands together in realization. "I think I saw some back there—"

"Excuse me? Are you Haresa?"

It was an older woman with greying hair and the smile on her face told me that she wanted something.

"Yes, I am."

"Oh, my family and I love you. Would you mind if I took a picture with you?"

"Um." I turned my head to Mia to see if she was okay with it.

She raised her hand and gave a nod to say she was fine. I turned back to the woman with a polite smile.

"Sure."

The woman pulled out her phone and took a quick picture. I was about to turn until someone grabbed my arm. It was a young man with a head full of brunette curls.

"Wait, could I get a picture too?" He asked.

"I'm not so sure, I'm actually—"

"Come on. You let that woman take a picture with you."

"Well, I thought it was just going to be her—"

"Aren't you supposed to be a hero?"

Something turned in my stomach and my mouth went dry. "Only one picture."

He excitedly took out his phone and pressed the button. Instead of it taking a picture he began to record.

"You won't believe who I found today! Local hero Hare-sa."

"It's pronounced Ha-reh-sah."

He ignored my comment and I became more uncomfortable. "Say hi to the camera!"

"Hi." I fought the urge to scrunch my nose up in disgust as he attempted to put his arm over my shoulder.

This went on for some time until I took a step back and waved.

"It was nice meeting you but I have somewhere important to be."

Before he could get another word in, I sped walk my way out of the scene. If I could use my full powers, I would've bolted without thinking.

I began to look for Mia in the store and I couldn't find her. I wandered the store for a long time until I decided to just go to the register to see if she was there.

Mia was at the cash register and had placed money on the counter. The employee had put a box into a bag and handed it to Mia.

"Thank you, please come again!"

Mia was about to wheel out of the establishment but I was able to catch up to her. She looked up at me and had a relieved expression.

"How was your photo shoot, Mx. Hero?"

"The dude lied about getting a picture and took a recording. I'm so sorry that happened." I rubbed my forehead with my hand, still irritated from the encounter.

"It's no worries."

"Where do you want to go next? I know this cool spot—"

"I actually need to head home." The bag crinkled in her hands. "My family are having guests over."

"Oh..."

"It was really nice hanging out with you though."

"Yeah," my voice cracked. "Same."

We left the store and I found myself parting ways with Mia once again.

The awkward feeling didn't leave me for the rest of the day.