21. Cold

Haresa

What was taking Sheldon so long? Was he trying to make me lose my mind while I waited for his scheme to start? At this point, I'd rather be dangling dangerously over a vat of acid than wait watch over him.

Did he always play the long game when we fought as kids? It seems like a thing he would do but my mind was too exhausted from just waiting.

I craned my neck over the heads of the club members to get a better look at Sheldon.

There was something off with Sheldon.

His usual turtle neck was pulled up to cover half of his face. Even his eyes were red and sweat dripped down his face. He wasn't even wearing his glasses today. He almost looked like a turtle hiding in his shell.

Mia and Rudra were away on a school trip which left me and half of the club. Mr. Dunson suggested we relax and watch a movie. The boxy old television set sat on the creaky metal frame with wheels in front of the students. The movie played in the background of the GSA meeting and I rubbed my thigh. I could hear sniffles every so often but I tried to ignore them.

My eyes focused on the screen and the two men on screen seem to be having an intimate moment. They lean in to kiss and there was a chorus of reactions.

Then there was a garbled groan and a loud thump. Sheldon fell to the ground and clawed at the bracelet on his hand. The other students stared at him in shock and some asked if he was alright. He wasn't responsive.

"Sheldon, are you alright?" Mr. Dunson called out with wide eyes.

He gave a single nod and attempted to stand. His attempt only made him fall onto his back again.

Mr. Dunson turned his head to me. "Haresa, can you help him out? I think he needs to go to the main office. They have ice there."

I immediately took Sheldon's arm and he tensed up the moment I had touched him.

"Relax, I'm just trying to help," I nervously whispered.

I put his arm over my shoulders and made him lean against me. My shoulder was tucked underneath his armpit and he made a disapproving sound but I ignored it. I placed my other hand on his wrist to make sure his arm wouldn't slip off and we began walking to the door.

"Be careful and get better soon Sheldon." Mr. Dunson shouted at us as we left.

We walked in silence for some time and I could hear Sheldon's bracelet crackling. It zapped my shoulder and I yelped.

"Jesus, what made you so emotional? The bracelet shouldn't be reacting like that unless something really bad happened to you."

We got to the staircase and he put his other hand on the railing. It gripped the rail tightly and if he had super strength, he probably would've broken it. We slowly descended the stairs taking one step at a time.

"It's nothing."

Another fizzle came from his bracelet.

"Really?" My nose scrunched up. "You don't have to pretend or lie about how you're feeling."

"And you don't have to pretend or lie about caring." He shot back.

The arm clutching the rail collapsed. I quickly wrapped my arms around him to stop him from falling and I let out a sigh of relief.

"Lean on me more. I don't want you to fall." I readjusted my arms and his so we could continue moving.

"Why don't you let me? I'm just a nobody villain that people forgot about."

"What?"

He didn't speak again. I continued to help him down the stairs and we ended up making our way to the office.

"Oh, hi Haresa. What brings you here today?" The woman at the front desk asked.

"Sheldon here isn't feeling too well. It seems like his powers are going haywire and the bracelet is just going overtime suppressing it."

"Mm, I see. Take a seat over there and I'll go grab you an ice pack."

There were seats next to her desk. Unlike the hard plastic chairs in the classrooms, these were large and had cushions and arms. Sheldon sat in the chair and pulled his knees to his chest. He looked more comfortable at least.

I sat next to him and waited for the lady to come back with the ice. Sheldon continued to sniffle and I glanced at him every so often. I noticed there was a tissue box on the desk and grabbed some before handing it to Sheldon. He stared at it before taking it from my hand.

"Thanks," he murmured.

"Oh, um. You're welcome."

He glanced at me and hesitated before speaking. "Why are you here anyway?"

"Usually, we're not allowed to leave people alone since they get lonely. It's after school too so like..."

"Right."

He looked away and we fell back into an awkward silence.

I took out my phone and began to scroll through it. It was a new phone since the old one was still in dad's possession and luckily the hero association gave out phones for heroes that either lost, broke, or can't afford one.

A hand covered the screen of my phone. I looked to Sheldon with confusion.

"That..."

I pursed my lips. "Are you okay...?"

"Please just... put it away." He balled up the tissue in his hand.

"Okay, you can move your hand first."

He did as I said and I looked at my phone. The video icon blinked at the top tab and I furrowed my eyebrows. Was it because he accidentally pressed something?

I pocketed the phone and raised my hands. "Happy now?"

He wiped his nose with a tissue. "Eh."

That was one of the most positive reactions I had ever gotten from him.

The lady came back with a bag of ice and handed it to Sheldon. He put it on his forehead at first but then glanced at the bracelet on his hand.

"Not a good idea." My hand hovered over his wrist. "You'll get electrocuted."

He sighed and then put the ice pack on his forehead. "I suppose that means the water isn't distilled."

"Huh?"

"Water can only electrocute a person if it has no minerals in it."

"Oh? Ah... okay."

Now that I thought of it, I never really saw him at lunch or even just talking to other people. He always just kept to himself. That villain I saw all those years ago that always got in my way just seemed like a phantom at this point. Just made me wonder why he got into villainy in the first place.

The office was silent and the lady continued to type away on her computer. The clock ticked rhythmically at the corner of the room and I tapped my fingers against my knees. There was a sudden growl and I instantly looked to Sheldon. He had his hand on his stomach and his knees were

"Did you eat lunch?"

No response.

"When was the last time you ate?"

He shrugged before hugging his knees.

"I'll see if they have any leftovers in the cafeteria. They give them out to students sometimes."

He started to protest but I was already out the door. I waved at him through the window before turning to take my leave.