62. Act

Sheldon

Show offs were all about the show, not points or winners despite those things being present.

My mind wasn't completely focused on the event as it was preoccupied with other things.

I wore my usual villain costume but I was stripped of all the technology that I usually hid in it, making me feel vulnerable and strangely naked. The heavy weight of my backpack was replaced with empty space which ironically made my shoulders feel even heavier.

I don't know where Haresa went but it was a struggle to convince Rudra to leave the dressing room so I could have a moment to gather my thoughts before the second part of the event started.

It had been forever since I had been here last and anxiety coursed through my body. The last time I felt this stressed out I... Actually, reflecting on that it was actually not even a few days ago but this was a different type of anxiety. It was the one where memories you shoved to the back of your mind resurfaced and there was a helplessness that paralyzed you.

There was a loud knock and a reminder proceeded it and I sighed.

It was time.

I could feel the hum of excitement that went through the crowd grow as I was led through the corridor. I make a note of every security guard that passes by me and even the ones directing me I made sure to keep note of them.

There was no such thing as being too careful. You never know who may be a maniac that infiltrated security.

The doors slowly opened to reveal the stage and I shielded my eyes from the harsh fluorescent lighting with a hand.

"WHO'S READY TO WATCH SOME SUPER ACTION?"

The crowd goes wild at the announcer's enthusiastic bellow and I got a glimpse of who was hosting. Streaks of red and white covered his mostly blue outfit with a large E on his chest. My mind attempts to remember who this person was but nothing came to mind. Had I been out of action for way too long or did I not recognize the heroes and villains in front of me?

The personnel directed me to metal chairs lined up right next to the stage and I saw Haresa sitting at the first seat while a bunch of other gangly costumed freaks either looked at me with suspicion or had their attention elsewhere. I took my seat at the very end of the line but it didn't feel very far from Haresa's seat since there were only seven of us total.

The announcer introduced himself as Loudmouth before I managed to tune him out.

The rules were already ingrained in me since I was a kid. I had no clue what the difference between the kid and junior levels was but it didn't matter since I only knew the junior level of show offs since I was shunted into the ring. Most of us already were on the hero and villain scene as sidekicks or minions, the only exceptions being Haresa and me.

"We have some very interesting contestants for our show off today!" Loudmouth grinned with a raised hand. "On the side of the heroes, we have our highly experienced speedster, Haresa!"

Haresa's eyes were clouded over and they muttered something about not just being a speedster. They stood up with a smile suddenly appearing on their face and waved to the crowd, only spurring their excitement.

"And next we have a newly debuted villain with wits none haven't seen since a spunky seven-year-old entered the ring..." He paused and squinted his eyes at his sheet. He looked puzzled but cleared his throat, flashing a cocky smile to the crowd. "Sheldon!"

I took the opportunity to stand on my chair so fast that it made the crowd audibly gasp in shock before some cheers and boos echoed throughout the area. I adjusted my glasses with one hand, making sure that the one-way tint was activated so no one could see me glaring at everyone.

"Sheldon here was made by a competing scientist who had a burning grudge against our very own Haresa's father." The crowd let out ooo's and I only sank into my seat. I couldn't even regret telling them this since this was the best cover-up story I could come up with.

Some of the teens beside me began to whisper to each other in bewilderment as they processed what the senior hero had just said.

"Licensed villain? It's nearly impossible to get a licence when you're still a teen."

"Haresa has a hero license though."

"Yeah, but that's because they and some other kid had powers since birth since they're lab made."

"There was another kid?"

"Yeah, she was a villain."

"You don't think..."

"Don't be stupid. You heard what Loudmouth said, he has wits. He might be a prodigy or something. Like those kids that go to college at seven because they're homeschooled."

The whispers turned into giggles and veered in another direction. My mouth was dry but it didn't matter. I had to go on the stage soon and perform like I was some kind of puppet to the masses.

"We'll start with newcomers facing off first so that the more experienced fighters today will face off each other," Loudmouth said.

I internally brace myself as I expected to be called to face some poor newbie to fight but it never came. I watch people rise from their seats and slowly leave for the stage. As I watched the people leave, I caught Haresa staring at me with a shell-shocked expression and I realize what the organizers had planned for us.

We were going to face off with each other for the sake of publicity.

A cold bead of sweat trailed down my spine and I tried not to glance at the small corner of the bleachers.

I didn't plan for that.