75. Forms

Haresa

I was at the Hero and Villain legal and finance centre, ready to submit some forms from my last hero mission.

"Number seven!" A voice called out from the long line of tills.

I looked down at my slip of paper and sighed. Not yet. I was number twenty-two. I don't know why I kept thinking I was up next.

The room was large with blank white walls to surround it. It would've felt spacious if it wasn't packed with other heroes and villains. A person had tried to bring in their metal attack tentacles and security had to fight them. I think I still hear the ruckus going on in the parking lot. I wouldn't be surprised if the person got fined to oblivion.

The person next to me stood from their seat and left for the tills. The spot was quickly replaced and I blinked.

"Took me ages to find you."

I looked up to see Sheldon and some tension left my shoulders.

"I didn't think you would show up and last-minute ditch our planned team up."

"Well, you made a—" Sheldon paused before speaking again "—compelling case."

"You have the papers?" I asked and he raised his hand to show off the documents.

"Obviously," he glanced down at the papers in my hands. "What are those for?"

"Oh, um. Just stuff for Blanc Enterprises since I'm the spokesperson and all," I mumbled.

"Aren't you part of the Power Crew or something?"

"Power Squad," I corrected him, "and yes. Blanc Enterprises is a subsidiary of the Power Squad."

"Why the hell does nobody know of the Power Squad then?"

"Faces are easier to remember than whatever hero group is formed. Hero brands can be bought and swapped apparently."

"Sounds annoying and messy." There was a pause. "Suck to be you, I wouldn't want to be a hero."

"Good thing you aren't then." I shifted in my seat uncomfortably. "Did you get the stuff sorted out with your union?"

Sheldon gave a curt nod before flipping through the pages to show me the papers. "Tattle Tails have always been accommodating to me. They had someone help guide me through the paperwork."

"They probably see you as the baby of the union."

"I am not the baby of the union." Sheldon huffed and riffled through his pocket to take something out.

"So, they didn't pinch your cheeks and gave you some candy when you were younger?"

His fingers stopped fidgeting for a moment and I was able to see he was unwrapping a small chocolate. He mumbled an incoherent sentence before popping the chocolate into his mouth and chewing the treat grumpily.

Minutes passed by and I got antsier the longer we stayed quiet.

"How's being on testosterone?" My voice cracked.

"Acne sucks."

"You're liking it though?"

"Why'd you want to know?"

"I'm just trying to make small talk."

"Well, don't."

"Oookay then." My hand found its way into my hair and I began to twist the strands.

"I'm just... not good with small talk," Sheldon said after a few moments and I felt myself relax a little.

"Oh, I get it. I just thought you didn't like me."