28. Ball

Sheldon

"I can't believe he broke up with you like that."

I was laying down on the couch at this point, tossing a plush ball into the air. Rudra would catch it in the air every so often only to toss it back to me.

"Yeah, well. I didn't expect him to prioritize work over me," I sighed. "Why did your last boyfriend break up with you?"

"He got pissed that I didn't reply to his calls when I told him I was going to be away for the whole day at a family thing."

"Seriously? It sounds like you dodged a bullet there."

He gave a half-hearted laugh. "He was my first boyfriend, so it still really stung."

"I bet." I tossed the plush ball to him.

He caught the ball with one hand and squeezed it. "How did you meet your ex anyways?"

"It's a bit complicated."

"Oh? Does it go into your villain origin story?"

I snorted. "That's a completely different story."

"Then?"

I sighed and got up into a sitting position. Rudra hopped over the couch and sat next to me. When was the last time I ever talked to someone like this?

"So, I was homeless for a long time. Scrounging up food from dumpsters, stealing anything that didn't have an owner, you know. Minor villain acts." I waved my hand dismissively. "It fucking sucked."

"Holy crap, are you alright?"

"Yeah, I got an apartment now. It's not a big deal." My eyes drifted away from him, not willing to make eye contact as I spoke. "So, I was homeless for a couple of years and I really thought that was going to be my life forever. That was when Reynard appeared."

"Like a knight in shining armour?"

"Or a fox with a mischievous smile if I look back on it now," I grunted.

"Ugh, I hate men. Why do I have to be attracted to them?" Rudra dramatically threw the ball over his shoulder before hoping on the couch.

I quickly sat up and moved my legs before he could sit on me. He landed with a soft thump and settled on the couch comfortably.

"Same." A laughed escaped me and his eyes met mine for a moment.

His breath seemed caught in his throat and I couldn't help but notice how close he was in that moment.

There was a jangle at the door and I froze. Someone was coming.

The voices got louder as there was a lot of laughter and chatter as someone seemed to fumble at the door.

I stood up immediately and analyzed the room, I could jump out the window and escape—

"Sheldon, are you alright?" Rudra had his hands up defensively and had a raised eyebrow.

"Someone's at the door—"

"Yeah, it's just my family." Rudra gently put his hand on my arm. What was I? A wild animal? "They won't freak out about me having a friend over. They've met Haresa enough times."

"I should be leaving anyways." I picked up my bag from the ground and started making my way into his hallway.

"Where are you going? There isn't an exit there."

"I can find my way out. Thanks for the ice cream but I gotta go."

"Sheldon—"

I fumbled with my watch as I speed walked away.

I got too comfortable back there. I should be careful and not let it happen again.