43. Present

Haresa

The day of cultural presentations had arrived and I just barely made it.

I set down the tray of fried bananas on my desk and sighed. They were still warm only because dad insisted on cooking them and then dropping them off at school.

"Oh, those look good. Can I eat one?"

Rudra had a smile on his face today. Bigger than usual. I narrowed my eyes at him and pulled the tray away from him.

"Wait until miss says we're allowed to." I glanced at Ms. Lemming and she seemed to be cleaning up her desk from the last class. "We're technically not allowed to eat in classrooms too."

His smile dropped. "Aw, no fun."

Sheldon arrived as usual and sat next to Rudra's seat. He was quiet and almost seemed lost in his own mind as he hugged the bag of Tipo like a plush toy. He sat in his seat without even taking off his bag and he seemed crammed in his seat.

"Sheldon, are you alright?" Rudra asked.

"I'm fine, so fine. Very fine."

His response didn't convince me. He was practically shaking in his seat.

I tapped the edges of my tray. "Nervous for the presentation?"

Sheldon glanced at me and didn't respond. I guess he wasn't in the mood today.

Rudra tugged on my sleeve and on instinct, I leaned closer to him to hear what he was going to say.

"Sheldon is getting evicted and he has no place to stay."

My eyes widened and became fixated on Sheldon.

"What? How?" My voice was louder than I expected that even Sheldon took notice.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" Sheldon asked with narrowed eyes.

"Sheldon, are y—"

"We're getting ready for presentations. Everyone, settle down," Ms. Lemming called out. "I set up two desks here for the food so everyone can put their food here and grab a paper plate. I also brought plastic spoons if anyone needs them."

I glanced to Sheldon and he was already making his way to the front of the classroom to drop off his contribution.

I followed everyone else and set my plate on the desks. It was getting crowded but all I could do was stare at three large containers full of caramel brown jelly. It was flan.

"Who brought three tubs of flan?" I asked.

"I brought flan." I heard one voice call out.

"Me too," another said.

"That makes me three," the third person said.

I gave an awkward laugh. "I guess flan is eaten in a lot of countries."

I grabbed a plate and got a few treats before going back to my desk.

Rudra still seemed to be taking his time waiting for a spoon so I began to nibble on one of my fried bananas. My eyes drifted across the class and nearly popped out of my head when I saw Sheldon's plate.

It was piled high with food and he had already begun to stuff his face since his cheeks puffed up as he ate.

"Sheldon?"

He groaned but it came out as a muffled sigh. "Whu ish ib?"

I think he was trying to say "what is it?" but I couldn't really tell with his mouth full.

"Do you need a place to stay in?"

He began to cough and I began to stand but he held his hand out to stop me. He managed to swallow his food and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

"No," he coughed. "I'm fine. I've got a backup plan."

"What? You're going to rob a bank?" I joked and he picked up a fried banana.

"Ew, bananas." He proceeded to eat it without a second thought.

I sometimes forget how weird boys are. Or maybe this was a Sheldon thing.

"Are... you?"

His glance told me everything as he proceeded to ignore me.

"I don't think I'll be able to have lunch after this class." Rudra took his seat, interrupting whatever the heck Sheldon and I were doing.

"Okay!" Ms. Lemming's voice projected across the classroom again. "Does anyone want to go first?"

"I do," Shelden said with a raised hand.

I had to do a doubletake as I didn't expect him to want to go so early. His face was deadpan and I frowned. I guess he finished the project at least.

"Amazing, you can go set up on the computer at the front and I'll get out my papers." Ms. Lemming said brightly.

"Woo! You got this, Sheldon!" Rudra slammed a hand on his desk before stabbing his plate with the spoon.

As Sheldon walked to the front of the class, for a brief moment our eyes met.

It was clear I didn't need a superpower to tell me that danger was near because I could tell he was up to something.