76. President

Sheldon

"I get to leave whenever now," I excitedly explained to Rudra. Before I could explain further, someone's hand blocked my vision.

"No, you don't." Haresa had cut down my excitement faster than they could run.

I moved their hand out of my face and raised an eyebrow. "Who's going to stop me?"

Rudra didn't seem to want to take part in the conversation as he glanced between Haresa and me.

The hallways were still rowdy as classes were just dismissed and we all were waiting for the rest of the GSA students to get here.

"The teachers. You need to fill out a form once you get back from using your card to unlock the bracelet. If don't fill it out, then you get detention," they explained.

I held back my scoff. "So? I can just lie."

"And you only have authorization because of me. If you leave and I don't, then they're going to ask me why I didn't go either and I don't have to lie for you."

"She has a point. You can't just do things all willy-nilly," Rudra patted my arm sympathetically and I shrunk from his touch.

"I have my ways, don't underestimate me."

Rudra had an impressed look on his face and looked to Haresa and they shook their head in disbelief.

"Okay, that's enough chit-chat. We have an important announcement today," Mr. Dunson called from his desk.

Haresa pulled away from Rudra and me and I sensed a shift in their mood. I looked at Rudra and he only seemed to be sneakily looking at something on his phone. I leaned away from him and propped my elbow on the desk in front of me so my face would be concealed.

"Mia had informed me that due to basketball, she'll be unable to be the president of the club," Mr. Dunson said with a frown.

"What?" Rudra shouted. "What does that mean?"

"We still have me, vice president," Haresa said. "I mean, I'm president now by default since Mia can't be president anymore which means we'll be looking for a vice president."

"If anyone is interested in the position, please let me know. Of course, you'll still be vice president for next year as well," Haresa's voice wavered and I tilted my head to the side.

"What if someone wants the president position?" I asked.

Haresa seemed caught off guard by my question and they quickly diverted their gaze.

"Then we can hold a vote," they said in a chipper tone. "Is there anyone else interested in the position?"

Silence filled the room and I looked at the people around me. No one wanted to look Haresa or Mr. Dunson in the eye and were either looking down or at their phones. My eyes went back to Haresa and their cheeks raised slowly but their nose was slightly scrunched.

"I'll be president," I said.

"What?" Haresa's jaw dropped and their eyes were wide.

"You want to be president?" Rudra asked more enthusiastically than Haresa.

"Yeah, sure. How hard could it be?" I shrugged.

"Is it really a good idea for Sheldon to be president?" Haresa asked Mr. Dunson.

"I know you two have your issues, but he is part of the club. If he wants to be club president then he can go for it," Mr. Dunson said.

"Do we have to do a vote? Haresa is already a good vice president, and I'll just be president. I don't think anyone else wants to be in either position." I slumped further onto my desk and waved my hand toward the rest of the students.

"Who are you to decide?" Haresa asked me.

"Well, do you actually want the president position?" I shot back and they hesitated.

"I think it just makes more sense if someone with more experience leads us."

Mr. Dunson's eyebrows scrunched together at Haresa's response and he looked at me.

"Sheldon, you'll have to learn how to prioritize and manage many things. Do you think you can handle that?" He asked me.

"Yes, I'm not a moron," I said. "I can make an actuator that converts static electricity to trigger a robotic arm trap. A club should be less finicky. Not as fun, but less finicky nonetheless."

"I think I remember you using that when we were younger," Haresa mumbled.

"Oh yeah, the articulation for that thing really gave me a lot of difficulty—"

"Okay, before we derail into...whatever you two are talking about, is anyone opposed to Sheldon being president?" Mr. Dunson's eyes swept over the room. "If you are in favour of Sheldon being president, raise your hand."

More than half of the club members raised their hands and Rudra not only raised his hand but gave me an enthusiastic thumbs up.

"It looks like we got our answer, Sheldon will be president and Haresa will be vice president."

"Mr. Dunson, I don't know—"

"Haresa, if you're very worried, we can support Sheldon with the duties," Mr. Dunson leaned over his desk to get a better look at Haresa.

Haresa gave me a nervous glance and I returned it with a dead stare. That only seemed to shake them up more and Rudra motioned his hand toward Haresa.

"Sheldon wouldn't do anything bad. He needs this club to graduate," Rudra said and he looked at me. "Right, Sheldon?"

I nodded.

"Then it looks like it's settled!" Rudra grabbed my wrist and lifted our arms into the air. "All hail the new president!"

There were a few whoops and the club erupted into chatter.

Haresa was silent and kept staring at me like I was committing a crime. I tried not to take any offence to it and only raised my middle finger in response.

They were such a stupid hero. They shouldn't be taking on tasks they couldn't handle.

Now I had a bigger question I had to answer.

What the hell does the president do?