20. Leave Separated

Sheldon

I had never felt more relieved to be at home for the weekend until now. I didn't think school would be so exhausting and boring at the same time.

A yawn escaped my mouth as I stretched my body. I was so tired from yesterday that I didn't even make it to my room and ended up sleeping on the couch.

My eyes stared at the ceiling for a few moments, wondering why there was a crack in it. Was it always there?

I sat up and cracked my neck. It was too early to eat. I could probably work on my pet project. I don't think Reynard will be coming any time soon.

I stood on my feet and grabbed my glasses off the ground. I fiddled with my glasses for a few moments before I was able to get the key. My hand wrapped around the handle and I attempted to unlock the door. It gave a hollow jangle and I frowned.

The door handle was broken.

It swung open effortlessly and I saw my room.

Everything was a mess. Papers were scattered on the floor and my books were toppled on the ground. It was as if someone was searching for something and had a tantrum when they couldn't find it.

I glanced at the safe and saw it was still locked. I breathed out a sigh of relief. Whoever had been in here didn't get it at least.

I yanked the key out of the door and put it back on my glasses. I took a few steps into the room before I felt arms wrap around my torso.

"Sheldon, you're home!"

Reynard's bright eyes stared back at me and I blinked. "When did you get here?"

"I just climbed in like always, you probably didn't hear me since you were busy with the door there."

"Yeah, I was just looking at what happened–"

His lips closed in on mine and I instantly felt myself relax in his arms. He pulled away and his eyes lingered over the room.

"Oh wow, the landlord really teared up through here."

My eyebrows shot up. "It was the landlord?"

"Yeah, yesterday he wanted to do an inspection since he knows you're a villain and all. Barged his way everywhere in here then gave up when he couldn't open the safe. I told him if it was dangerous, it would've exploded already so he backed off."

"Ah, I actually got a notice about that. I suppose I forgot."

"Yeah..." His eyes landed on the safe. "What is in the safe anyways?"

"Oh, uh... You don't have to know."

"Seriously, you've been keeping quiet about it for months now." Reynard put his head into the crook of my neck.

"You know I take my work seriously. It takes me a long time to get everything the way I want it to be."

He gave me a light kiss on the cheek. "Yeah, but I really want to know! It's been killing me."

"Alright. But don't be upset with me when I show it. It's not done yet. I still have to do some minor fixes."

I walked over to the safe and began to input the combination. He probably was really excited. I did leave out the blueprints to the gift out one time but I assumed he didn't see it. Maybe he did and was just impatient at this point. My heart pounded in my chest. This would be my first gift to him.

I opened the door and took the small box out.

"Now, hand it over."

I felt something sharp against my neck and I instantly tensed up. I could hear a low buzzing and something dropped in my stomach.

"Reynard...?"

I felt the blade press harder onto my skin. "I said hand it over. I don't have time for this."

"Why do you have that thing? What's going on?"

"No harsh feelings, babe. I just need a paycheck."

My mouth went dry. "Does... this mean that you still love me...?"

"Have I ever told you that?"

I felt lightheaded. This couldn't be happening. I was supposed to create the new tech and then we would live in the countryside without anyone ever tracking us. It wasn't supposed to go like this. He... he lied to me.

My hand clenched the box and threw it at the floor. "Fucking have it."

The blade left my neck and I heard Reynard move behind me. I looked to the ground and his hand picked up the box. He tossed it in his hand a couple of times and the contents clattered inside it.

"Wow, I was expecting this to be harder." There was a laugh of disbelief. "Thank you."

The floor squeaked as he walked towards the door.

"What about your stupid speech?" I spat. "Are you doing this for a job or what?"

I heard him come to an abrupt stop. The silence was suffocating as I waited for his response.

"I'm sorry it had to turn out like this. If you were a well-known villain with decent cash, this probably would have gone differently."

I snapped my head towards him. "What?"

"I'm only explaining since you want to comply to regulations so badly. I'm just saying that–"

"That I'm not good enough for you?"

He raised his eyebrows and pointed his finger at me with a smile. "You catch on fast. Anyways, I'm done explaining. I would tell you more but it's not my villain monologue to tell."

My teeth locked together and I could barely get any words out of my mouth. "Whatever."

He finally left and I stood there for a few minutes rubbing my neck. Something warm and wet rolled down my cheeks and my body shook.

I was going to give him that locket ring anyways. Why the hell did he need it so much?