78. Homeschooled

Sheldon

"Sheldon, you alright?" Rudra asked.

I let out an unintelligible noise and Rudra nodded in understanding.

"I felt that reach the depth of my soul," Rudra said.

My lips curled into a smile and my shoulders shook in a soundless laugh.

We sat in the school's library and I was looking at the list of GSA ideas for future club activities. Rudra was working on his homework while I tried to figure out how to move forward with the options.

"Everyone seems excited to go on at least one club trip." I underlined all the ideas that were trip. When I was done underlining, half of the page was covered in pen marks.

Rudra made a sound of approval. "Missing school for a trip is always a win."

"Never been on a school trip before," I said. "Are they that fun?"

"What? You've never been on a school trip? Why?"

"Homeschooled," I said a little too quickly.

"Oh yeah, I forgot that you and Haresa had celebrity children lives."

"I wasn't a celebrity child." I crossed my arms. "I was just a regular child."

"With powers."

"With powers," I nodded and held up my wrist to show the bracelet.

"And news coverage."

I pressed my lips together. "Uhhh."

"And your own merchandise."

"Okay, most of that has been phased out when I left the public eye. I didn't even set that up, my union did."

"One of your old merch resold for three hundred dollars," Rudra was about to show me the image on his phone and I covered my hand over it.

"What?" My hand trembled and I was sure Rudra could feel it too. "I was stuck with a giant box of stupid knickknacks. You're telling me I could've resold them for hundreds?"

"I mean yeah if you find the right person, easier to find people on the internet for that stuff," Rudra pulled his hand away and pocketed his phone. "What did you end up doing with the box?"

"Burned them for fun."

"Why?"

"I wasn't in a position to give them away to other kids."

Rudra snapped his fingers. "Right, homeschooled."

"Yes, homeschooled."

The conversation came to an end and we were both back to staring at our papers.

My eyes began to shift out of focus while I thought about the options. A pride parade? From what I know, that happens near the end of the school year. Mr. Dunson said he wanted the trip to happen before exam season. A movie theatre? We already watched so many at school. This wasn't a movie club. Volunteering at a local shelter sounded pretty cool though. Maybe we could do a fundraiser for that.

I was about to circle the idea until a hand tapped my shoulder and I jumped in my seat.

"Hey," Haresa said.

"Ugh," I greeted back.

"Library is closing soon. We need to train." They pointed a thumb to their bag and I could see that it was bigger than usual.

"What's in the bag?"

"Gym-appropriate clothes. Dad has been working on some prototypes for working on the field and figured you would be a good test subject too."

"He knows my measurements?"

"He's good with estimating."

"You guys are doing cool hero and villain stuff?" Rudra's face lit up and he gripped the arm of the chair. "Can I come?"

"Rudra, we're going to a Power Centre," Haresa frowned. "It's a paid membership deal and only people with powers should be in there anyways."

"There are a lot of heroes and villains without powers too," Rudra pouted.

"And they're either rich, smart enough to make their own tech, or rich and smart enough to make their own tech," Haresa retorted. "You never seemed interested in fighting either."

"You punch a few guys and do a little kick, how hard can it be?" Rudra leaned back in his chair and gave a nonchalant shrug.

"Very hard if they're trying to knock you out and have who knows what as powers," Haresa retorted.

"Take videos and stuff so I don't feel like I'm missing out then," Rudra huffed.

"I'm sorry but that can't happen." My voice was louder than I expected and Haresa nodded.

"Yeah, it's not safe." Haresa reinforced my concern and a small flood of relief came over me.

"You owe me bubble tea then." Rudra pointed his finger at Haresa then at me and Haresa smiled.

"Okay, fine." Haresa turned to me. "Get packing, tortoise."

I rolled my eyes and began to pack my things. Before I put my papers into my bag, Rudra put his hand over mine and I looked up to see him staring directly into my eyes.

A wave of panic hit me and I averted my eyes.

"What?" I mumbled.

"I was wondering if you wanted to go on another date soon. I wasn't sure if your mission with Haresa will mess with that."

My brain took a minute to process and I gave a nod. "We should be good."

"How about next Saturday?"

"That should be good."

Rudra's smile softened. "Awesome. Can't wait."