90. Throwback

Sheldon

I felt like I was being watched.

I haven't felt this in a long time. I was preoccupied with helping with the preparations for the school dance but the feeling only grew stronger. Anxiety grew with each creeping minute and Haresa seemed to have noticed. They raised an eyebrow to ask me if I was alright but I blew them off each time. That was when I glanced out the window and I finally had an idea of what was going on.

I took off my glasses to rub my eyes and Mr. Dunson clapped his hands to grab everyone's

"I think we're good for today," Mr. Dunson said. "We're just about ready to have this school dance. The next time we meet, it'll be the day of the dance."

Everyone got up and began to chat with each other as they gathered their things. Haresa was about to leave but I grabbed their arm.

"What?" Haresa yelped in surprise and I slid my glasses into their hand.

"Shh, don't act surprised," I whispered and made sure their fingers were covering my glasses completely. "I need you to take these and hide them in a very safe place when you get home. A place where even I can't find them."

"W—"

"Don't question it, just do as I say," I pressed their hand gently. "Please."

Their face was full of concern and they eventually nodded slowly before shoving the glasses into their bag.

"Are you going to be home tonight?" Haresa asked nonchalantly and their eyes scanned the room.

"Don't worry about me." My tone was harsh and I made sure they could see my glare clearly.

They hesitated before shaking their head. "I hope you know what you're doing."

"Of course, I do. I'm the smartest guy here." With a quick swipe of my villain license, my bracelet dropped to the ground.

They went to pick up the bracelet slowly and I immediately began to run. I would be in disbelief but I wasn't. This wasn't the first time he tried to track me down and I doubted he would leave me alone if I tried to escape. I could easily do it with the watch but I needed to keep coming to school. He would eventually just show up again the next day so it was better to confront him and shoo him away like the pest he was.

"Sheldon."

Reynard wasted no time to greet me the moment I stepped outside the backdoors of the school. He surprisingly wasn't in work gear and wore a plain t-shirt and jeans.

"What do you want?" I scowled.

He smiled as if he didn't betray me and took a step closer. I took a step back.

"Oh, come on Sheldon," Reynard said. "You can't possibly be mad about our last interaction."

My nostrils flared. "You held a knife to my neck."

"I was being watched," Reynard lowered his voice. "Mon chéri, just let me explain."

He tried to close the gap between us and I shoved him away.

"Don't even try." I was seething.

He had so many opportunities. It has been months at this point. He went after me during the damn show off. He left me. He left me and the only time I want to see him is on the field where I have the upper hand.

"I just managed to slip away." Reynard ignored my warning and attempted to get closer once again. "You have to believe me."

That was when I noticed it.

His hand was reaching for my watch and I plunged my hand into my pocket. His eyes flicked up to meet mine and instead of expressing any surprise or annoyance, his lips only parted slightly open.

"Sheldon, just listen to me."

"And what?" I snapped. "What are you trying to gain from this?"

Reynard was still. His silence irked me enough that I took a few steps backward.

"You never were this cold to me," Reynard said.

His tone and expression were unreadable to me and I scowled.

"Well, you never held me at knifepoint before dumping me." I threw up my hands in frustration. "Leave me alone or I'll make sure you need a trip to the hospital if you try and step foot near the school again."

"Wow, you're treating me like I'm your nemesis," Reynard laughed.

"You might as well be."

I was about to turn to leave before he spoke again.

"I also heard you've been dating someone else since we broke up?" Reynard had a bitterness in his voice and I froze.

"What about it?" I asked hesitantly.

I tried to stop myself but I found myself staring at him again and he had his thumb rubbing the hem of his shirt in thought.

"Was just curious." Reynard leaned against the fence and had his arm propped up against it. He didn't seem to be in any rush to get back to wherever he was before and it was like he was anticipating I would stay to talk with him for a while. "I really thought you hated them."

It felt like my brain was flipped upside down as I tried to decipher what he just said. "I didn't hate Rudra."

His eyes narrowed and he obviously was displeased with the revelation. "Rudra? I don't know who this Rudra is."

I gulped.

I messed up.

Reynard was now facing me down like a predator that had surrounded his prey and the best thing I could do was put my shield up. I would hide if I could, but the best thing I could do was put up my defences and wait.

"I really thought you had a thing with that hero," Rudra laughed bitterly. He was right up to the shield at this point and he slammed his fist against it. I nearly flinched and the shield rattled for a split second but I tried to look unbothered. "Creating an alliance, being in the same club, and even living in their home."

Everything was cold. My fingers had no feeling and only an intense dread gripped my throat.

"Sheldon, I really thought you would understand what I was doing but I found out that I was wrong."

Reynard peeled himself away from my shield and slowly shook his head to himself.

"If you come to your senses, you know where to find me."

He sauntered away and rounded the corner of the building. He raised his arm to give me a wave without even sparing me a glance as he did.

My shield dissipated and tried to chase after him. I didn't even give him that much of a head start yet the moment I rounded the corner, I couldn't find any signs of him. It felt unfair that he knew where I lived but I never got to learn where he was staying.

I didn't even know what he was even doing when we were dating.