31. Bubble Tea

Haresa

The sweet taste of bubble tea hit my tongue and I began to chew on the tapioca pearls with more force than usual.

What was Sheldon planning? Was that emotional outburst just part of a greater plan? Was he trying to get with Rudra so he could get under my skin?

I chewed faster and watched them across the table. The store was small and there was only one table available. More people slowly entered the store to place their orders before leaving.

"Sheldon, take a sip from mine." Rudra stuck out his cup towards Sheldon.

Sheldon leaned away in response. "Isn't that unhygienic?"

"You think I have some sort of mouth disease?" Rudra joked.

He blinked. "Since I don't know your medical history, there is no certainty in my position so it's best—"

"Sheldon, I don't have a mouth disease."

Sheldon reluctantly took a sip from Rudra's straw and averted his eyes in the process. Rudra was smiling the whole time which only heightened my worry.

"It's matcha flavoured. What do you think of it?"

"The balls still," Sheldon paused to chew. "Getting used to that. I think I swallowed one whole earlier."

Rudra laughed. "You'll get used to it."

Why did it feel like I was the third wheel?

I sipped on my taro-flavoured drink and a pearl lodged itself into my throat. I began to cough and hit my chest with a fist.

"Like that." Sheldon pointed at me. "It fucking sucks."

"Do I need to call the ambulance?" Rudra asked.

I swallowed and I felt my eyes watering. "I'm good."

"Anyways, how did you disappear yesterday? One moment you were there and then the next, poof! The backdoor was even still locked." Rudra leaned towards Sheldon and had his hand on the villain's forearm.

"A magician doesn't reveal secrets." Sheldon's lips curled into a half-smile.

"How mysterious." Rudra swirled his cup.

"More like villainous," I muttered.

Rudra shot me a look.

"I'm really excited to start on the project. I could bug my mom to make something for the sake of a grade. Like jalebi! She rarely lets me have that since it's too unhealthy." Rudra sipped on his drink. "Do you have an idea what you're going to bring for the presentation, Sheldon?"

Sheldon chewed on his straw and became very quiet. Rudra noticed the silence immediately and was going to say something before a loud song interrupted him.

"Sorry, one sec." Rudra pulled his phone from his pocket.

He answered the phone and began to speak in his mother tongue. There was a loud woman's voice speaking back from the receiving end and the call quickly ended. He scrolled down his phone before giving a loud sigh.

"My mom called to tell me to check her messages," he rolled his eyes. "I have to go home now."

"Aw, that sucks," I said. He's going to leave me alone with Sheldon? "Hope everything is alright."

"It's fine, I just forgot it was my turn to do the laundry today," he shrugged on his backpack. "I'll see you tomorrow, Sheldon."

"Bye." Sheldon gave a curt wave.

Rudra made his way out of the store and I was left alone with Sheldon.

Sheldon seemed to have finished his drink and tossed the crushed cup on the table. He stood up abruptly, causing the chair to screech across the ground. What little amusement he had prior was now gone and his expression was the same stone coldness that I knew. He grabbed his bag with one hand and began walking to the exit.

"What are you planning with Rudra?" I quickly picked up my bag and picked up the litter he left behind.

"What are you talking about?" He pushed open the door and side-stepped outside.

I quickly threw the cups into the trashcan next to the door and pushed the door with my shoulder.

"You two met up yesterday, how the hell am I supposed to believe that you don't have an evil plan?" I squinted from the sudden brightness of the sun.

That seemed to only irritate him as he spun around.

"What? Are you trying to pick a fight with me?"

The ground suddenly cracked underneath me. I tried jumping back only to hit a wall.

Sheldon had put up his forcefield around us, trapping me with him in the process. Panic clogged my throat and I scrambled to think of an answer.

"If I recall correctly," he pulled the collar of his turtleneck with a finger. "You never beat me in a one-to-one fight. Are you ready for a rematch or are you going to propose a race again?"