96. Dance Off

Trigger warning this chapter and the next few chapters have implied transphobia.

Sheldon

The night started out well enough. The gym was a little too loud but it wasn't unbearable. Voices and the music reverberated off the walls but it was easy enough for me to shrug off as I was still ecstatic over the new outfit.

"Are you having fun so far?" Rudra asked as he handed me a foam cup.

"I mean, I don't really know what to do," I said before I took a cautious sip of the drink. I didn't recognize the taste but it was fruity.

Rudra gave me a lopsided smile. "It's just enjoying good food and good company."

I snorted. "Debatable."

I felt Haresa's gaze staring at me in the distance. I didn't want to look but I caught them staring at me earlier. They probably were worried about me being up to something since we weren't forced to wear the power-regulating bracelets.

"You haven't gotten to know everyone yet. If I hadn't bothered you at the grocery store, I bet we wouldn't have gotten close."

Rudra playfully bumped his shoulder against mine and my other hand shot out to catch one side of my cup.

"Careful, damn." I chugged more of the drink.

"Is there anything else you have to do for the dance, Mr. President?" Rudra jokingly asked.

"Everything is set up. Haresa was being overly paranoid about the whole thing and kept lingering by the speakers. Unless something drastic happens."

"What could happen?"

"I don't know, ask Haresa that."

"Hm," he swirled the liquid in his cup. "I have to ask, are your glasses prescription or what? Don't they get in the way when you fight?"

"No, they don't have a prescription but they have a bunch of tech features." I took my glasses off my face and handed them to Rudra. "Want to have a look?"

Rudra's eyes widened. "You sure."

I gave him a nod and proceeded to put the glasses on his face.

"How do I look?" He asked. Glee seemed to invade every inch of his face and I couldn't help but mirror it.

"Better than me."

He laughed and we fell into a silence. It lasted for a few minutes and I began to panic. Was not talking for this long, okay? I didn't want to seem disinterested, or even worse, boring. I struggled to find any topic my brain could come up with.

"Hey, when we got here, you said that you had something you wanted to ask me," I said. "I nearly forgot since I was helping with the setup."

Rudra stiffened and in the dim lighting, I couldn't see his expression very well. It wasn't as obvious as a smile but it didn't seem like he was upset that I brought it up.

"What was it that you wanted to ask me?"

"Let me give you context first." Rudra's voice wavered for a split second. "I'm not like out to my family yet."

I tilted my head to the side and furrowed my eyebrows.

"But I really like you and I want us to actually date..." Rudra's voice trailed off.

I waited for him to speak more. The music at this point was deafening. Everything was too crowded and someone walked past me but not without a slight touch to my arm. All the sensations were too much now. Nothing felt right. Not even my gut felt right as a dull pain slowly circled through what felt like my intestines.