22. Hot

Sheldon

Sweat dripped down my face. The bag of ice was half-melted and I resisted the urge to suck on the remaining ice. I was going to do it earlier but I got a glare from the receptionist and decided against it. I placed the bag on the chair as it didn't seem to help anymore.

The bracelet wasn't as violent as earlier but every so often a strong zap would sting my wrist. I wouldn't be surprised if I found bruising and blisters on my wrist once it was removed. If I had known that being so emotional would've made me feel hot and in pain, I wouldn't have shown up. The only side to this whole situation was that I wasn't as focused on Reynard and was focused on my pain... that was caused by Reynard. Maybe I didn't think this through well enough.

The door clicked opened and I saw Haresa walk in with a paper bag. They had a sheepish smile on their face and they gingerly closed the door behind them.

"Here. The guidance counsellor was there and was able to make a grilled cheese sandwich. I hope you don't have any allergies." They held out the bag to me.

I looked away and tightened my arms around my legs. "I'll be fine."

The smell wafted off the bag and my stomach growled. I cursed silently in my head. They let out a small hum.

"Are you sure?" Their voice was in a singsong tone. "I heard the grilled cheese sandwiches are pretty darn good here."

I didn't respond.

"Are you lactose intolerant? Should I get something else...?"

"Shut up already. I'll take the stupid food if it gets you to leave me alone," I grumbled before grabbing the bag.

They sat next to me again and patted their hands on their knees. They seemed bored ever since I told them to put away their phone. Not like it was my problem.

Haresa glanced at me every so often and then to the bag in my hand. I stretched out my limbs into a more appropriate sitting position for eating. I slowly took out the sandwich from the back and can feel it was still warm. I reluctantly took a bite and my jaw ached at the motion.

This was pathetic. I used to be the threat to be stopped by heroes, not the person heroes had to save. Maybe Reynard was right.

A tissue was placed on my lap and I glanced to the side to see Haresa had, what I assumed to be, an annoyed frown.

"I'm not a baby. You don't have to treat me like one." I took the tissue and wiped the crumbs off my face in annoyance.

They cleared their throat. "It wasn't for your mouth."

"Then what was it for?"

"You're... crying."

I quickly looked away and wiped my eyes with my sleeve. You had to be kidding me. Of all the times I just had to cry now.

"I'm not." That was all I could think of to say.

I felt their hand gently touch my elbow and my body tensed up. "Sheldon... Do you need to vent or just have a shoulder to cry on? There's nothing wrong with—"

"I'm fine." The bracelet crackled in response to my lie and I cursed silently to myself. "Can we just get this thing off? It's a safety hazard at this point."

Haresa glanced to the side and their gaze looked at the clock over the secretary's head. "Yeah, I think it'll be alright."

"Do we have to get Mr. Dunson to unlock this or—"

The sound of the bracelet snapping open caught my attention and I looked down to see Haresa's hero licence.

"It'll be fine. It's after hours and you're not feeling well either. Your main power is just making a forcefield anyways so you're not going to directly harm anyone with it." They slipped the licence back into their pocket and didn't meet my gaze. "At least, I hope you won't hurt anyone."

I shoved the rest of the sandwich into my mouth and rubbed my wrist. When I was done eating, I spoke. "Thanks... I suppose."

As expected, my wrist was red and there were even some open wounds on it.

Haresa bit their lip. "Do you need bandages or...?"

"It's not like my bones are broken. It'll heal up fine within a few hours."

I threw my trash into the nearby bin and I was about to take my leave. I froze when I heard Haresa call out to me.

"Are you sure you don't want to talk about... whatever you're going through?"

My hand curled into a fist. "Mind your own business, hero. I'm not going to monologue to you."