47. Launch

Haresa

"I'm sorry, but it's hard to take you seriously." My hand covered my mouth as I finished the remaining bites of the sandwich. "You used to be a drier, no filler type of villain. Seeing you flaunt it with all the theatrics really surprised me."

Sheldon was trying his hardest to eat the sandwich in his get-up, breaking bits of the sub and stuffing it down his collar.

I let myself relax in the chair as I was freed from the restraints.

"Cut me some slack." He seemed upset. "This is my first sponsorship. I need to do well."

"Didn't you have sponsorships before?"

"Those were different." He had said it so quickly I almost didn't catch what he said.

"Alright... Well, I think you're doing a good job at least."

"Good?" He gave me a deadpan stare.

"Bad! I mean... Ugh, you're doing okay." I winced at what I said. "Anyways, when do we get to use the powers? I can easily break out of that thing you know."

"You can break out when it looks like I'm about to get away and use your powers." He shoved the last sandwich bite down his collar. "I, on the other hand, won't be using mine at all."

"What? That's dangerous!" I looked outside of the pharmacy and caught of glimpse of Craig who seemed to be changing out the battery to his camera. "You could get seriously hurt. You would have to rely on the tech. Are you sure you can trust it?"

"I made it with my own two hands, of course, I can fucking trust it." His words came out harsher than I expected. Did I strike a nerve? "If anyone saw my powers and name, they would find out I used to be Shelly."

A wave of realization hit me. "You don't want to be outed."

"No, I," he sighed. "Whatever let's go with that excuse. I was hoping some other hero would face off with me today too but I'll work with this."

"Why? Is there another reason?" I asked but I got no response. "You should lay off of the tortoise theme if you don't want people knowing you used to be Shelly."

"They're not tortoises, they're turtles. Tortoises can't swim and turtles can. These bad boys are water-resistant and I can swim now."

I did a double-take. "You didn't know how to swim before?"

"Shut up, thirty minutes is up. Get back to your place and I'll the camera prick in." He was about to walk away but stopped himself. "Don't ruin this for me. Please."

I sighed and picked up the chains from the ground and began tying them around my legs. All in day's work for local teen hero Haresa it seems.

Sheldon had already let Craig back and Craig was eyeing the villain with suspicion. He probably recognized Sheldon but didn't want to throw out any accusations just in case. He did act pretty different at school.

"Could you help me with this last part?" I asked the moment Sheldon got close enough. I couldn't bind my arms myself.

"Sure."

He came over to me and tied up the chains around me.

"Ugh," he said. "It doesn't look the same as before. Do you think people will notice?"

"I'll pretend I loosened it and you have to do it again. No big deal."

He tightened the knot on me and glanced at me. I could just barely make out his eyes behind the tinted glass and they were filled to the brim with suspicion. "Why are being so... helpful?"