18. Answer

Sheldon

I didn't have a normal childhood. Fighting was one of the few things I was allowed to do.

"Lại."

My chest heaved as I gasped for air. I felt my heart beat pounding.

The man in front of me was more than half my size. Large muscles covered every inch of his body and his arms were in the fighting stance. The hare was way more powerful than him. I had super powers too. I shouldn't feel fear. This was just training.

My creator stood at the side of the training room with arms crossed. He wore his navy tuxedo that day which meant that he had a meeting to attend to later on.

"What are you waiting for?" The creator shouted. "Lại!"

I ran at the guy with my teeth gritted. I threw a kick at him be he blocked it. His fist came flying to my face and I threw my hands up. A shield instantly surrounded my body and I fell onto my behind. My arms instinctively wrapped around my legs and I could feel myself shaking.

The man crouched down onto his knees and gently patted the shield. "Hey, it's okay. You did good. I'm not going to hurt you."

"What are you doing?" The creator barked.

He took brisk strides through the steel training room and was glaring at me.

"She's tired," The man's muffled voice came reached through my shield. "She's been training all day and I don't think that's good for any seven-year-old."

"Im lặng."

The man went silent at the creator's command.

I watched with watery eyes and my shield's wall began to grow thicker.

He shouted the name he gave me and I flinched. "Put down your shield this instant."

His angry tone made me tense up and the wall grew even thicker.

"Fine, we'll do this the hard way."

The creator reached into his pocket and took out a pocket knife. The blade flicked out and I could see electricity buzz off of it.

"Where did you get that, it should be government–"

"Don't tell me how to do my job."

The knife stabbed the shield and it instantly dissolved. I stared at the creator with a black expression. This wasn't the first time and it surely wouldn't be the last. The creator grabbed me by the arm before yanking me to my feet. His face was in front of mine and I could see every vein on his eyeballs.

"I have spent lots of money for this training room. I spent money to hire the best vovinam teacher I could give you and I have even been nice enough to create you with powers. You were successful with your mission but because of that child hero, the success was hollow and I expect better than that. Now stop being lazy and train properly. Do you understand?"

I stayed silent.

"Answer me. Do you understand?"

"Yes..."

There was a beep and the creator let go of my arm. He pocketed the knife in exchange for his phone. He answered it and began speaking in Vietnamese. I could only stare at him while glancing to the man every so often.

The creator sighed and ended the call. "I have to go. Continue training."

He left with the steel doors closing behind him.

I looked to the man beside me and he held out a hand towards me. I leaned away and stared at it.

"How about we have a break? I brought some Tipo with me."

"Ti...po?"

The man retracted his hand to scratch his jaw. "They're like this cream egg cookie, they're really good."

"What's a cookie?"

His mouth was agape for a moment before he cleared his throat. "Looks like uncle Hung will have a lot to teach you."

I learned a lot from Hung since then. Unfortunately, it didn't last very long.