40. Home Visit

Sheldon

One time, I needed a babysitter.

If it was anyone else, I wouldn't be very happy but it was Hung's place. As an eight-year-old, I had a lot of respect for my vivonam teacher so I was excited to spend time with him for the day.

My younger self was in awe of the home. It was filled with wooden furniture and had soft-looking couches. Compared to the facility I stayed in it had a different atmosphere. It felt warm and cozy. It felt like Hung.

"Heo, is there anything you need? Water? Snacks?"

He looked down at me and was locking the door behind him. I stopped observing the home and locked eyes with the adult man.

"Tipo."

Hung began to laugh and hung his bag on the coat hanger. "Alright, you got it, buddy. How about you take a seat on the couch while I go get the box?"

I shrugged my shoulders and made my way to the couch. I sat on it but was surprised by how bouncy it was. I bounced in my seat and Hung came back into the room with a packet in hand.

"Okay, I'm going to give you one this time. We don't want you to have a stomach ache again." Hung handed me the packet.

I hid my disappointment with a sigh. "Okay."

"Is there anything you want to do? Any games you want to play?"

I hummed to myself as I unwrapped the cookie. "Haresa said they were banned from playing tag the other week."

"Is Haresa your friend?"

"No, she's my enemy. Remember what creator said?"

"Ohhh, that Haresa." Hung let out an awkward laugh. "Well, we can't play tag. My house isn't big enough for it. It's more fun when there are more kids too."

"Mm, I guess."

"Do you play with other kids outside of the facility?"

"Does fighting count?"

"Er... lets... watch some television." He walked up to the television in his room and turned it on. "A nice kids' channel."

"Mmkay," I said with my mouth full.

The screen flickered on and my eyes lit up when I saw the bright colours flash across the screen. There was a figure with a cape on screen and I stared at it with confusion.

"Is that a hero?" I asked.

"Hm?" He looked at the screen with confusion.

"You evil villain! You'll never get away with this!" The television blared.

My eyebrows raised in recognition. "Haresa said that before."

He quickly pressed the button and it changed to an old man talking in a monotone voice.

"Haha," Hung chuckled nervously. "Who knew kids' television was so violent these days?"

My face contorted. Violence? What violence?

He turned off the screen and gave a shaky lopsided smile. "How about we take a tour of Uncle Hung's home? Hm?"

I wiped my hands on my shirt and hopped onto my feet.

"Let me take the garbage." Hung held out his hand towards me and I looked for the wrapper.

I saw it on the ground and quickly picked it up before handing it to him.

He balled it up in his hand and held his hand out to me. "Okay, I'll let you lead this tour."

I stared at his hand. "We're inside, we don't have to hold hands."

"Ah, right. I keep forgetting how old you are." He pulled his hand back. "You're growing up too fast."

"Fast enough to get more powers?"

Hung chuckled and there was a ring.

"Ah, I'll have to take the phone. Will you be alright alone?"

"I'll be okay." I gave him a nod of reassurance.

He disappeared into the kitchen and I could hear a click. His voice began to echo from the room as he talked on the phone.

This was my opportunity.

I began to wander the halls and saw a shelf of what seemed to be miscellaneous items. That was when I saw a blue tin.

I read the label and my eyes widened in glee. Butter cookies? Was it like Tipo?

I grabbed the tin and excitedly opened it before instantly feeling a wave of disappointment hit me. Instead of the cookies pictured on the tin, it was filled with threads and needles.

"Heo? Where are you?"

Hung seemed to have gotten off the phone and saw me standing there with the opened tin in my hands.

"Oh no, that's not something you can eat." Hung carefully took the tin from me and closed it. "I use this to keep my sewing."

I could only pout as I was still disappointed with what I found.

"I'll get you more cookies, okay?" He checked his watch and his mouth formed into an "o" shape. "After lunch of course."

I nodded reluctantly.

If I had known what was going to happen next, I wouldn't have left his home that day.