74. Escape

Sheldon

I always knew what exactly what I wanted and who I wanted to be. Even if I wasn't able to fully conceive it at the time.

I was only eleven when I made my big escape.

I had my bag filled with everything I needed: food, clothes, needles, puberty blockers, a flashlight and other necessities.

I was too small to reach the keypads to every door. I wasn't sure if it was purposely designed that way or if it was an oversight when looking when but I had my workarounds.

My breath was caught in my throat as I crawled through the vents. One hand was clamped on my mouth to stop myself from sneezing from the dust in the vents.

It was so dark that I could only rely on my hearing but my anxiety swallowed me whole. My mind would play tricks on me and I would panic, thinking that someone had heard me and I was going to be dragged back to my room. After a few minutes passed, I could only hope that no one heard me and slowly began to crawl again. The only reason why I kept moving forward was that I was more scared of being forced to stay at the facility than being caught.

When I believed I reached the end of the vents, I took out a small laser and used it to melt the edges of the grate. Once the job was finished I gently pushed it and waited for it to cool before crawling out.

"Heo?"

My head whips to see Hung. My heart was pounding in my chest and I staggered towards the door.

"Heo, you don't have to panic." Hung grabbed me by my shoulder and lowered himself so he could meet my eyes. "Deep breaths."

A gulp of air entered my lungs and my breathing slowed down.

"Good. Now, what are you doing playing in the vents?" Hung asked and I got a better look at his outfit. He had his jacket on as well as his messenger bag slung over his shoulder.

He was leaving for the day.

"I don't want to be here. Take me with you, uncle Hung."

Hung opened his mouth to say something but a loud beep went off. Red lights flashed above us and I instinctively covered my ears.

"Heo, you shouldn't be leaving."

His words cut through me and I shake his hands off of me.

"If you're not going to help me then don't say anything."

I ran off and I could hear Hung shouting after me but the exact wording was lost in the alarm's blare.

I round the corner and pulled out the laser from my pocket again. I didn't have much time left.

The door to the exit was within my sight and I readied myself to force my way out. Just before I could make another move, a dart shot out from the right and I jumped back to avoid it.

A familiar voice called out to me calling me by the string of words I despised hearing.

I gritted my teeth. "You tried to shoot me with a dart?"

"No," my creator said. "I knew you would dodge. I stopped you with a dart."

I turned and tried to run towards the door but more secret panels flipped open to reveal more dart shooters.

"Instructor Hung, it seems you taught the child some rebellious actions. Will you take responsibility for this?" The creator asked Hung and he looks between me and him before he grimaced.

Hung straightened his back. "It is my duty to guide the fledgling. I am at fault for not doing a better job."

My throat tightened and staggered backwards, forgetting about the darts momentarily. The darts let out high-pitched shrieks as they flew threw the air and Hung ran towards me. He grabbed me by my collar and pulled me forward, and only one dart grazed my back which left a tear in my shirt.

"Enough with the dramatics. Go back to your bedroom. Now," the creator instructed. "It's far too late to play games."

The creator began to walk while Hung and I followed closely behind him.

My body shook with anger and sadness. Hung's hand seemed to grip my shoulder tighter.

"I hope you're prepared for the consequences of your stunt. We've already found some of the aftermath of your shenanigans and it will cost a lot of money to repair everything." The creator droned on as he lectured me about anything and everything he could think of.

Hung began to drift into another hallway and I halted in my place. I stared at him and he silently gestured for me to follow. I froze.

My hesitance was obvious it seemed as he gestured for me to follow him a second time. I ended up taking a few hesitant steps forwards and Hung's hand found my wrist. Before I knew it, we were running down the hallway and sweat was pouring down my face.

There was a lot of shouting. I didn't remember what was said but I remember my fear only heightening. Not only was I going to be in trouble but Hung was as well.

Loud sharp explosions of who knows what kind of weaponry sounded off. I braced myself for impact but didn't feel anything. Just as I thought I was safe, Hung collapsed next to me.

"Hung!"

I nearly stopped in my tracks and ran to him but he held out his hand to stop me. I couldn't see his wound but my vision was swimming in tears at this point.

"Heo, run as fast as you can! There's an escape exit in the next room. You should be gone within ten minutes."

"What about you?!"

His eyes flickered into an emotion I didn't recognize but he put on a smile. "I'll be fine. Go, before more people come."

I took a few steps back and began to run.

"Don't let them escape!" More commotion came from the guards.

I took one glance behind me. I didn't know why. I could've looked because of curiosity. I could've looked because of worry for Hung. I could've looked to have one last memory to look back on before I left the hellhole.

But one of the guards had a large bazooka. They aimed it at the ceiling. Then, it was fired.

The ceiling came crashing down on Hung and I managed to escape it by a few paces.

I didn't look back after that. I could only run and blame myself for getting Hung killed.

At least, that was what I believed until Haresa told me he might be alive.