26. Visit

Sheldon

What has my life come to?

I sat in Rudra's living room with my hands folded over my lap. My foot rubbed against the carpeted floor, noticing how soft it was but I stopped myself not too long after. I didn't want to seem more like a freak than I already was.

It was a very colourful home. There was a wooden cabinet that was decorated with flowers and statues of what seemed to be gods with posters plastered on the wall behind it. There were plenty of couches and chairs surrounding the television. There were a lot of plastic bottles on the coffee table in the middle of the sitting area which made me wonder if Rudra had a lot of family members living here.

"So, you're saying that you can get free food if the stuff is expired or close to expiring?" Rudra's voice echoed from the kitchen.

"It's a best before date, not an expiry date. They don't sell due to stigmas that the food went bad," I shifted in my seat uncomfortably. "If the food is still sealed airtight and it didn't go mouldy, then it's good to eat."

"Does the villain union pay for what you steal?" There was a large sizzle and I could hear a string of foreign words of what I assumed was cussing.

"No, the food would've been thrown out anyways." I scratched the back of my neck. "Companies still think they're losing money because of it but people who take that food wouldn't have money to pay for it in the first place."

"That sounds shitty."

I didn't know how to respond to that so I let out a low hum.

"How do you like the kulfi by the way?"

I glanced to the coffee table where multiple wooden sticks lay in a bowl. Rudra had shoved the bowl to me and scolded me for not eating it immediately. I thought it was the same rule for hot food. If it's too extreme in temperature, it needs to be left alone so it can adjust.

"It was alright," I replied stiffly.

"You don't like mango?"

I did an internal scan of my thoughts but I couldn't think of much to say. "It's just... new. Very new."

"You never had mango either?"

"Yeah..."

Rudra exited the kitchen and I could see a towel draped over his shoulder.

"Are you... done cooking?" My eyes darted to the kitchen area but I couldn't see anything but the fridge and dining table.

"It still has to cook for thirty minutes. I'll have to check on it and stir every so often but otherwise, it's fine," Rudra shrugged.

"Thirty minutes? What were you doing before then?"

"Prep and toasting then grinding the spices."

"That sounds like a lot of work." I began to rub my foot against the ground again.

"It's worth it in the end. I'm still trying to figure out how to make it like my mom's but I think I'm getting better at it."

"Cool..."

There was a pause before Rudra spoke again. "So, do you want to talk about your troubles? Or is more ice cream needed?"

I shook my head.

"Well, I won't force you to talk but I won't let you leave home with an empty stomach."

He headed back to the kitchen, probably to stir whatever he was cooking.

I sat there, unsure of what to do next. What do people do when visiting someone's house? I felt like a feral cat that suddenly got taken in by a stranger and was having an impossible time feeling comfortable inside.

"You know, when I was dumped by my last boyfriend, I wished someone was there for me."

I frowned. "Isn't Haresa your friend?"

"Yeah, but she was also friends with my ex. It was an awkward situation. I couldn't fully vent to her since I didn't want her to feel burdened by two heartbroken people."

"Family?"

I heard a sigh. "It's... not easy to talk to them about this stuff."

"I see." I shifted in my seat again. "So, what did you do?"

"I resorted to posting anonymously on the internet. It didn't fill the hole I felt but it helped a little."

I tensed up at what he said. I cleared my throat before deciding to speak again. "I guess... you would've liked someone in person to give you... comfort."

"Mmhm."

"I guess... it wouldn't be too bad to talk about past relationships."

There was a click and Rudra came out of the kitchen with wide eyes.

"Really?"

"Well, don't make it weird." I rubbed the back of my neck. "But, yeah. Sure."

"So, where should we start?"

He took the seat beside me and I pressed my lips together in thought.

I hope I don't regret this.