46. Perform

Sheldon

I forgot how rowdy people got at hero and villain events.

At least this was a paid sponsorship.

I pushed the swivel chair and Haresa didn't struggle at all. I wonder if they had been through this so many times that it had become routine to them or if it was because we had grown up. Back then, they would screech till I swore my ears bled.

The automatic doors opened for us and I shoved my hands into my pocket before kicking the back of the chair. They rolled into the store without issue.

Shelves of various health-related products sat in rows and I did a quick scan of the area, making sure that no one else was inside.

I stepped inside and the doors slid closed behind me.

I heard the doors slide open again with a ping and looked behind me. There was a floating camera and I resisted the urge to do a double-take and put my attention back on Haresa. I was told a cameraman would be in here. I shouldn't be surprised even though I know it was that guy.

Haresa seemed to have noticed the camera as well and did a small eye-roll before clearing their throat.

"What did you do?" They demanded.

"What did I do?" I echoed, trying to sound as sinister as possible. "I haven't done anything yet. This is only the beginning, pet."

They seemed to resist the urge to laugh and I felt myself curl up and die inside. Okay, I went overkill on that last sentence.

Focus, I am a villain. I'm not pretending to be one.

"Do you find this situation funny?" I snapped.

"What? Nooooo, no." They sounded ingenuine. "Not funny at all."

I walked around them in a circle, taking my time as if I was analyzing their reaction. "If you don't find this funny... I have a feeling you'll find this funny."

I pressed a button on my watch and the shelves began to be dragged away to reveal the gaping hole in the wall.

"When did you have time to install all this?"

"Install? No, no. I didn't install anything. Making a few helper bots to do my work?" I forced out a melodramatic laugh. "That took some time."

Tens of little turtle-shaped robots emerged from underneath the shelves and made a slow crawl towards me. Their eyes blinked with a dull green colour and I smirked at my handiwork.

"Oh my god, they're so cute," Haresa exclaimed.

"Cute? What the... Okay, I can see it," I said as I feigned the realization.

Of course, the turtle bots were cute. They had a creepier design earlier but they would scare me to death in the middle of the night when I needed a glass of water. If these things survived today, I would have to keep them in my home for who knows how long after.

"Did you name them?" Haresa asked and I could tell that they genuinely had forgotten the task at hand.

"Enough chitchat," I said. "I'll tell you what you're really here for."

The robots skittered into the gaping hole of where the locked door once was and slowly retrieved containers of various sizes.

"You see, little bunny—"

"Don't call me that." They tried to sound defensive but it came across as embarrassed.

"Who has the multiple bots and has the hero tied up to a chair?" I waited for them to reply but they stayed silent. "That's right. I do."

One robot approached me with a box on its back and I bent down to retrieve it while giving it a small pat. It whirred in programmed delight and scurried away to join the rest of the robots.

"You see, the healthcare in this country is stupid. The prices are too high it sends people into a spiral of poverty. Need money for meds and need meds to live. It's parasitic."

Haresa's gaze hardened and I could tell that they were now invested in what I had to say.

"That is why the week before this pharmacy has a twenty percent off sale of all..." I pulled out a slip of paper from my pocket and quickly put it back. "Vitamins and supplements. I'm stealing all the medicine this pharmacy has and redistributing them with my turtle bots here. I do not intend to have any major deaths or injuries occur in this location and any that occur is the failure of the authorities."

Haresa gave me a discrete thumbs up. Why are they acting like they're on my side? Weren't they the one up in my business not too long ago about me doing exactly this?!

They wanted a villain and they were getting one. They get to boost their hero image in the process. It was all just a win for them yet they dare to act friendly.

"What do you want from this?" Haresa asked with a newfound confidence. "Revenge?"

"No. If I wanted revenge I would be elsewhere." I shook my head and spun the chair so they faced the gap. "If I was handed four-thousand dollars, I'll stop this heist. Otherwise, this whole supply of medication that would've gone to the dumpster anyways will be coming with me."

"You'll never get away with this." That was a line I heard them so plenty of times before but they really didn't seem to have their heart in it.

Instead of groaning in annoyance, I decided to take advantage of their reluctance. I needed to make a show and get my payout. I'm not letting this hero ruin it by going through the motions without any care for it.

I grabbed their face so they would look me in the eye and their eyebrows raised in surprise.

"You say that, but you don't seem convinced. Do you really believe I won't get away with this?" I taunted them.

They didn't even blink once while I held them in the position. The only movement was the slow rise and fall of their chest as they breathed. I quickly let go and began to walk away, heading towards the floating camera. The invisible person staggered backwards but it didn't faze me.

"You know what else would help me with my plan, Haresa?" I took a few more steps to the camera.

"...what?"

I stopped in front of the camera, my face inches away from the lens. The camera has a slight shake to it but was trying to keep steady by leaning against the flat wall.

"This invisible audience not overstepping their boundaries."

I grabbed the camera and pushed it downwards and the invisible person then revealed himself. He glared at me and I pointed silently to the camera before giving the gesture to cut the feed.

He complied and I let out a sigh of relief.

"Okay, time for the half-hour break," I called out. "I don't know if you guys packed lunch but I'm going to get some subs next door."