91. Ballgame

Haresa

"So, this is the location?" I asked Sheldon and he gave a curt nod.

The location was nothing like Sheldon had described a hideout would look like. We stood in front of a baseball field and it was eerie how empty it was especially at night time. The bleachers were littered with cups and plastic bags but it was hard to tell whether it was because there was no cleanup after the latest event or litter from elsewhere had found themselves a home stuck between the gaps underneath the seats.

"Do you know much about this field?" I asked Sheldon.

"No," he said. "I wouldn't know why they would make their escape area a baseball field."

"Maybe they were big sports fans." My joke wasn't met with even a chuckle and I continued to descend down the stairs.

I wrapped my sweater around me tighter in hopes that it would get warmer. I underestimated the temperature since our last outing was so warm but I was also hoping the hero outfit would come with cold-resistant material as well. But maybe they know we would be sweating anyways which is why they didn't bother with it.

"You're shivering. Did you underdress?" Sheldon asked.

He was wearing his turtleneck and cargo pants with a new addition of a sleeveless trench coat with more pockets than I've ever seen on a coat. It didn't seem very warm yet he seemed to have no issue with the night air. He must've thought it was important enough of a mission to be dressed in his full villain outfit.

"I added clothing I wasn't supposed to," I said and pinched my sweater to show him as if he couldn't see.

"Wow, aren't you a rebel?"

My steps padded softly down the stairs and I tapped the field ground warily.

"Think they power-proofed this place like the mall?" I asked Sheldon.

"Probably not," he said. "Most of these games don't allow powers to be used unless it relies on powers."

I tapped the ground a few more times and noticed how dense the ground was. I took a quick jog and noticed how my super speed didn't disturb the grass at all.

"It definitely is power proofed." My eyes met Sheldon's for a brief moment and I could even tell that he was concerned. "This is definitely the place."

A spotlight in the distance turns on and Sheldon jumped back in surprise. A zap of energy ran through my body so I was prepared to face whatever enemy that came at us.

"You investigate while I hang back," Sheldon said. "Won't do us any good if I get essentially stuck to maintain a shield while doing nothing."

My jaw instinctively jutted backwards. "Who said you're the boss?"

"Do you have any other ideas?"

I tried to search for a single idea for any semblance of a plan before slumping my shoulders and mumbling. "No."

"We're on the same page then."

I complied with his plan by slowly walking towards the bright stadium light but instead of being like a moth to a flame, my trudge was more like a reluctant rabbit checking out a new food source.

I closed my eyes for a brief moment to see if I could hear anything off but I could only hear the wind blowing softly as well as the loud buzz of the stadium light. My eyes snapped open in frustration and I continued to trek forward.

Just as I was a foot away from the light, it turned and my hands were raised to shield my eyes.

"Looks like a hare has come out to play." A voice echoed from the speakers.