6. Home Time

Sheldon

I rubbed my wrist and let out a sigh of relief. I was finally free.

I can't believe they would use bracelets for prisoners on high schoolers.

"Heading home already?"

"What the–" I instinctively jumped and turned around to see Haresa. "Did you run all the way to me?"

They scrunched up their nose. "No, you're still on school property. You're just slow."

"I thought we had an agreement that we wouldn't speak to each other." I looked away from them.

"Well, I wasn't the one that decided to make you join the GSA."

I groaned. "Okay, what do you want?"

"The first meeting is next Monday, so don't forget to attend. Also, it's supposed to be a safe space so don't say anything to offend anyone or else you'll be stuck with watching educational videos. I would be the one testing your knowledge too to make sure you'll at least behave."

My jaw locked. "Don't you have to go save a kitten from a tree or something, speedy?"

"No, I–"

At that moment the distant sound of screams erupted from the nearby building. There was a ping and Haresa took a phone out of their pocket. They looked up at me and narrowed their eyes. Why are they looking at me like that?

"Did you have anything to do with that?" Their accusatory tone only made me scoff.

"No, but you should go now." I pulled out a watch from my pocket before wrapping it around my wrist. "Every second counts, right?"

They flicked their eyes towards my watch and pressed their lips together in displeasure. They jogged onto the street and looked both ways. They crouched down with both hands on the ground before they launched themself into the air. My eyes widened slightly when I saw the damage that they had left behind. The concrete was shattered and a small crater had been left behind.

That was when I noticed a small cube falling from the sky and landing in the middle of the crater. It blinked yellow a few times before a bubble expanded from it. The shattered concrete was lifted back into its original state before the bubble popped out of existence.

That was strange. Did they always have fancy tech like that?

I watched them hop off to the building and made sure that they were a safe distance away.

I made my way into an alleyway and began to rotate the outer edge. One turn. Two turns. Five turns. Six turns. Seven... turns...

Crap. I forgot the combination.

A shrill voice called out from the entrance of the alleyway. "Daddy, what is that strange teenager doing?"

"Honey, that's most likely a villain. Leave them to scheme or access their secret hideout in peace."

Was I that obvious? I suppose I needed to brush up on my stealth skills.

I pulled out a piece of paper from my pocket and quickly looked over the combination. After a few turns of my watch, the portal finally appeared. I quickly stepped through it and looked behind me to make sure that no one had seen or followed me. I tapped my watch before quickly collapsing on my couch.

Home at last.

The apartment was just as I had left it. There were tens of labelled boxes filled with mechanical parts. Then there were the multiple stacks of books I had that ranged from fiction to politics to physics. The only furniture was a couch, a small table, and a single fold-up chair. I really needed to make a new place to live in instead of renting.

I briefly closed my eyes. I felt something tickle my nose and I opened my eyes to see orange eyes staring back at me.

"Hey there, kiddo. You should really take off your backpack before collapsing on the couch like that. You might get back issues later on."

A neon pink feather continued to tickle my nose and I swatted it away. "Shut up, I'm a villain. I can do what I want."

"Within the union restrictions you're allowed to do whatever you want, you mean."

His black hair was unruly today. He was wearing the orange jersey he liked so much and I could see pink fluff sticking onto it.

"Shut up, Reynard." I sat up. "You know that it's not mandatory. Also, why the hell do you have a feather?"

"Hey, you're the one that left me to go to school. I got nothing else to do but just make lots of arts and crafts projects." He tossed the feather over his shoulder.

"You don't even live here."

Reynard leaned over the couch with a taunting smile. "But I always miss you so much that I can't help but visit here hours before you come home."

I rolled my eyes and grabbed him by the collar. "You're such an idiot."

"But you love me anyway."

I pulled him towards me and our lips met briefly. He pulled away and jumped over the couch before he sat next to me. I took off my bag and he slung his arm over my shoulder.

"So, how was school?"

"Terrible. I have to not only go to class but also participate in clubs while wearing a really itchy bracelet. I wanted to get back earlier but they wouldn't take it off me until the day was done."

"Ah yeah, I forgot you guys had to do that."

"What did you guys do in France?"

"Any super-powered people get exiled like Napoleon. Just got your powers? Too bad." Reynard waved his hand around during his explanation. "And that is how I got to this wonderful little city as a Chinese-French kid with powers."

"Ha, you told that one before. I know not to fall for your fake stories twice."

"Mm, smart boy." He tapped his finger on my nose. I instantly grabbed his hand and he laced his fingers between mine. "Always take your glasses off. You don't even need them."

"People take me more seriously with them on," I said defensively. "I also think I look really good in them."

"Yes, you're adorable but it's hard to kiss you with them on."

I rolled my eyes. I detangled myself from Reynard and folded my glasses. "Anyways, I wish I didn't have to go to school. It's a waste of time."

"Did something happen?" He pinched my face before giving me a peck. "I knew you were going to be grouchy but not this grouchy."

I sighed and took his hands off my face. "Remember I mentioned that kid I used to fight with as a kid?"

"The rabbit hero? Like you said they were the only hero in the city, right?"

"Hare, yeah. I didn't think it would be a huge pain but I'm in every single one of their classes and I have to be in an after-school club with them. All because I have powers."

"Why don't you leave yourself as bait for Blanc to take away your powers or something?"

I let out a laugh. "Oh, he goddamn tried with the hare. He ended up with a concussion and offered a five-year toy line deal to keep them silent when it didn't work."

"Oh, wow. But the power regulating bracelets work on you?"

"Yeah... creator was pretty damn good at copying whoever made Haresa."

"Attends-tends-tends," Reynard held up a hand. "Does that mean you're a clone?"

"What?" My face warped into an expression of disgust. "No."

"Ha, I'm kidding. Anyways, I'll go get the food."

Reynard took his keys out of his pocket and waved them around. He then waltzed out the front door but he didn't leave without blowing a kiss towards me. I threw my bag at the door but he closed it quickly before he could get hit.

What a dork.