72. Revelations

Sheldon

I was already living in their home. I didn't need them to be even closer than usual.

My leg shook as I thought through everything that they had told me.

How did they even get their hands on the document?

I thought back to the time in the closet and remembered how close they were to me. I knew they were uncomfortable but I didn't think they would have thought to have stolen the papers from me at that moment.

I had to be honest with myself. I wasn't getting anywhere with all the tests and other research I had been doing. It was like I was missing key information.

The stilyte covering my walls reassured me that I was safe here for now at least.

Why would they want to team up with me anyways? They were so headstrong that they still went to school today despite us being awake till three am last night. They surely would have wanted to work alone.

I thought back to all the interrogations they had conducted and my leg shook faster. I sifted through my thoughts and made sure that my conclusions were the only possible answer. The interrogations. The lack of conviction in the questions they asked me. They followed me all of last night too.

They don't have a fucking clue what they were doing.

I knew Reynard was involved but I didn't know anything else. I didn't even know where he worked half the time since he wouldn't tell me. In all honesty, it probably would take forever for me to analyze the documents and by the time I made any conclusions, Reynard would be long gone.

So, there was only one logical thing for me to do. I had to face the facts and accept the reality before me.

I needed to steal all the information they know and continue to do things solo.

"Why weren't you at school today?" Haresa's sudden appearance made me jump in my seat.

"Did you open my door?" I shot back.

"No, it was open," they sighed. "Now answer my question."

"I wanted to sleep in, sue me."

They tapped their fingers on the doorframe. "Have you thought over the team up?"

"I have."

They stared at me and I stared back, confused about why they were staring.

"What?" I asked.

Their nose twitched but they maintained a neutral expression. "Did you want to do it or not?"

"Oh, wasn't it obvious?" I asked and they shook their head with confusion. "No. I'm not going to team up with you."

They seemed frozen in their place and a high-pitched buzz became noticeable. They didn't seem to pay any attention to it while I waited for them to leave.

Instead of leaving, they surprised me by walking into my room and sitting on my bed so they were directly in front my me.

My legs pushed my chair back and the chair unexpectantly hit my desk. "What the hell is this?"

"List to me all your reasons."

"What?"

"You're a man of reason and logic, for the most part, I know you wouldn't have thought this through without making some sort of list."

I stilled and tried to search their face for any signs of humour. Their face stayed neutral and I could only feel a bubble of laughter creep up my throat.

"You? Being logical? I know you're good at impulse thinking but planning isn't your fore."

"Which is why it's beneficial for me to team up with you."

"I'm not carrying around dead weight."

"Would I be dead weight if I can perform tasks faster or even kick down a few enemies when needed?" They paused for me to speak but I only narrowed my eyes at them. "When was the last time you fought anyone for an extended period of time? Have you been working out to maintain your villain career?"

"I work out," I mumble.

"How often?"

I didn't respond.

"If you team up with me, you'll have access to a gym for training. Extra muscle," they pointed to themself, "and access to information you wouldn't have otherwise."

"I don't need your strength—"

"Don't you want missions to go faster and more efficiently? An extra pair of eyes while you hack whatever thing instead of relying on a loud alarm."

"I'm perfectly capable of doing everything alone."

"But you struggled to do a lot of physical activities on your mission. Don't think I didn't notice the amount of sweat that covered your face."

"You also were a liability. If I was alone, I wouldn't have been nearly caught."

"The people would've been there regardless. If you were alone in the closet, the supplies would've fallen and your cover would've been blown."

"You don't know what you're doing."

"You don't know what the heck you're doing either."

I almost laughed at how aggressively they said heck but I was too annoyed about how adamant they were about this team up.

"You've never beaten me," I scoffed. "How can I trust you'll be a reliable teammate?"

"It's been a long time since we actually went all out. If you think you can beat me, then we can take this outside." Haresa cracked their knuckles. "My upper body strength isn't great but I've been regularly working out for the majority of my life now."

"How will I know you won't double-cross me?"

Reynard's cold laugh echoed in the back of my mind as I analyzed Haresa's face for any signs of malice. They shook their head and attempted to look me in the eyes but my eyes couldn't seem to reciprocate the action.

"There is the double cross clause in the team up contracts but I could put something in the contract to make you less worried. Maybe even make it not as bad if you get backstabbed."

I scoff. "What could make me want to get backstabbed?"

"Like giving you some information about your old instructor."

I let out a breathless laugh. "That would be pointless. I'm very sure he's dead."

Haresa's fingers drummed against their knee and I noticed something shifted in their expression.

"What if I told you, he may not be?"