49. Run Away

Haresa

I never was comfortable with internet gossip but it was as present as air. Always there but easy to forget if you tried hard enough.

I scrolled through the latest gossip on my phone and only found myself more and more horrified about people's reactions. At first, there were some critiques of the performance which was normal. Too stiff. Too awkward. The usual stuff. But then... there was the more vocal weird side of the internet.

Some people theorized that Sheldon was Shelly's older brother out for revenge for his sister's whereabouts. Then others argued that they would be the same age at this point so they might be twins. Lots of people asked if they could be the same person only for others to doubt it since Sheldon didn't display the same powers as Shelly. Apparently, super intelligence was a valid power to people but that's just called being naturally gifted and studying.

I remember arguing with members of the Power Squad as a kid about this. That was a really hard talk for kid me.

I glanced down at my phone and I felt my soul leave my body when I saw the next topic. Of course, there was shipping. When wouldn't there be shipping?

I put down my phone and put my attention back to my food only for it to be interrupted by an upset Rudra. He took a seat across from me and he slumped onto the cafeteria table.

"Haresa, I don't get why Sheldon is avoiding me," Rudra whined.

His cheek was smooshed up against the flat surface while the upper half of his body was splayed out on the cafeteria table.

I tensed up but I continued to eat my lunch as if nothing was wrong. It couldn't have been because of what I said, right?

"Did you talk to him? Maybe he's been down because of everything going on with him." I stirred my spoon in the sauce, unable to look at him in the eye.

"I did. I ended up being way more confrontational than I wanted to be and I think it might've spooked him," he groaned. "He stood in the hallway for a long time and even ignored the bell."

I pressed my lips together in thought. "He's just probably being a bad boy and skipping classes again."

"Also, you know what I've been seeing everywhere?"

"What?"

"Just Sheldon's villain debut. Everywhere." He lifted a hand and waved it around limply. "Sheldon and his connections to Shelly. Sheldon's powers. Sheldon fan theories and shipping."

"Don't pay attention to that. People get really creative when it comes to other people's lives. It's not actually us too in a sense. It's just our hero personas," I said it like a mantra.

It wasn't me so it didn't have to affect me. It was a fake version of me.

"Well, it doesn't help with the crush that's for sure." He let out a sad sigh.

I shifted in my seat. "I still don't fully endorse dating a villain."

He lifted his head off the table and eyed me wearily. "Aren't you friendly with some villains? I swore you were friends with a goose-themed villain."

"Friendly doesn't mean I want to date them. Even then, gross. Goosette is like the same age as my dad."

"Come on, you've never found any villain hot?"

"No."

"Not even for a nanosecond?"

My mind flashed to the performance I had with Sheldon. I dismissed it instantly by shaking my head.

He frowned. "Maybe you're not into danger and thrills."

"Rudra, I literally have powers and fight villains regularly."

He raised an eyebrow at me and I took it as a challenge to give him the most agitated expression I could muster.

He eventually relented and sighed. "I swear, you're too dedicated to work to really get into the mind of a romantic."

I flinched.

He caught that and concern flashed on his face. "Are you okay? Did I say something upsetting?"

"No, I'm fine." I shook my head profusely.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah." The lie came out so naturally that I even managed to convince myself.

I was a hero. I took care of other people's issues. I shouldn't have issues.

Super speed meant I was fast enough to run away from the problems, right?