30. Asinine

Sheldon

I was expecting school to be stupid but I didn't expect it to be asinine.

I was getting the bracelet of death off my arm at the desk near the entrance. A card waved over my wrist and it popped open with a click. The teacher overlooking the prison equipment then patted my wrist, letting me know it was done. I would've complained but it strangely made the feeling come back to my wrist. I pulled down my jacket sleeve and shoved my hands into my pockets.

What should I do now?

Before I could take a step outside, I heard a familiar voice.

"Sheldon!"

Rudra was waving to me for the second time today and Haresa lingered not too far behind to get their bracelet off as well. I averted my gaze in hopes that he wouldn't try calling for me again.

"Sheldon! Hey! Wait!"

I was stopped with a yank from my arm and I looked back to see Rudra's wide eyes. He was wearing a puffy jacket and had a scarf wrapped around his neck.

"Rudra! You can't just grab a licensed villain like that," Haresa chastised. They seemed to have finished their bracelet process with the teacher. Why didn't they just use their stupid licence?

"He's harmless." Rudra dismissed their concern. "If he wanted to hurt me, I would've been dead yesterday. He's a villain, not a criminal."

"Yes, but he can still take you hostage and... I don't know, force you to marathon that one show with the cat and bug?" An attempt was made but it only seemed to offend Rudra.

"I know you don't like it, but you have to admit it's great to laugh at," he huffed.

Rudra looped his arm around mine and I stared at him. He was doing this again?

I shielded my eyes from the sun as students passed by us. I always seemed to get held up in front of this place.

"Haresa and I are going to get food at this place downtown, wanna come?"

I made eye contact with Haresa at that moment. The horrified look on their face told me everything.

"I'm not sure." I eyed Haresa. They nodded in insistently as I spoke. "I don't have any funds to spare."

"I'll pay too," Rudra added enthusiastically.

Haresa frowned. "Rudra that isn't a good—"

"Sold." I slipped my arm out of Rudra's grasp to sling it over his shoulders. "You have a villain for the afternoon, congrats."

Haresa gave me a glare and I smiled in return.

Since Reynard was gone, there was no need to rush home. It wasn't like I could move forward with my other plans anytime soon.

Rudra's face was red and I returned my arm to my side only for him to cling onto it again. I looked away and felt something stir in my chest.

It was probably because of the project. I haven't been able to relax since I found out about that.

Rudra laughed at something Haresa said and the chest feeling grew.

It was certainly the project.