16. Instigation

Sheldon

If there was a good time to talk to your landlord, then I never discovered it as I always avoided the man like the plague.

There was a paper laying on the ground and I could only assume that the landlord had slid it under the door since I never answered the door.

I skimmed over the paper before crumpling it up in my hand. Another check up later today? I get that he was paranoid about me potentially making a weapon that could endanger his entire building but this was excessive. It was already the third time this month.

The sharp pop of the window opening made me lose focus on the note. Reynard popped his head through it before he slid in.

"Are you going to school today?" Reynard asked.

"Not really but..." I stuck the paper into my pocket. "Why are you here today?"

"Oh, I just wanted to see if you were still here." Reynard was now right in front of me and lifted my chin with his hand.

"I thought you were going to be busy this week."

"I couldn't resist visiting my little tortoise." He tapped a finger on my nose and I raised an eyebrow.

"Are you going to make me go to school again?"

"Yes, of course. All the assignments come in the beginning of the semester. Start slacking off at the end of the semester like every other student. Even the teachers get tired of school by the end of the semester. Start now and you'll be labelled a trouble maker and you'll be marked harder."

Reynard waved his hand dismissively as he spoke. I thought about what he said for a moment. If I needed to go out on emergencies, I might not be able to leave school if I needed more attendance marks.

I licked my teeth before sighing. "You keep saying that but everyone seems to think I'm already a bad student just because I'm a villain."

"Then just ace everything and prove them wrong." He kissed my forehead.

"Don't you have a job today? Why aren't you rushing out?"

"Don't worry about that." He handed me my bag. "Now, go, go! Before it's too late and you get bad marks. You may teleport home but I know your little watch can't do anything."

"Are you going to hang around the apartment by the way? The landlord said he'll be doing a check up today..."

"Ah, he is? Well, I'll be sure not to get in his way." Reynard pushed me towards the door and I dug my heels into the floor. "Vas-y."

"Okay, okay. Let me grab my stuff first."

I went over to the couch and found the miscellaneous sheets and books on it. I stuffed it into my bag before putting it over my shoulder and Reynard eyed it.

"You're not going to bring food?"

I shrugged. "They serve stuff there."

"Anyways, study well. Make sure to get free food from the guidance counselor." His hand rubbed my shoulder aggressively.

"What's the rush?" I put my hand over his and the rubbing stopped.

He looked away. "It's almost the start of school. I know you hate it so I'm giving you a push. I just want the best for you."

I rolled my eyes. "Feels like you're trying to get rid of me."

He smiled. "If I could come to school with you, I would."

I stared at him not realizing I was smiling. He looked back with an amused expression and pinched my cheek before kissing it.

"Now, go. School won't wait for you."