42. Seek

Sheldon

I suppose it was inevitable that I would be kicked out of my apartment but I didn't think it would happen so soon.

The notice of eviction was in my hands and I sat in the computer area with a hand on my head. I couldn't even focus on classes today because of it. I should find a new place as soon as possible.

But who in the world would rent to a 16-year-old villain? I was only was able to get the last place because of Reynard.

I sighed to myself and ignored the small twist in my chest. I should just focus on my project. It was due tomorrow and I needed to finish the last few slides.

"Sheldon!"

I looked up from the letter and saw Rudra. He looked happy to see me for some reason and had his backpack slung over his shoulder. It looked like he was heading home and was going to take the back door that was only a few strides away from the computers.

"Hey."

He must've taken note of how dejected I sounded since he frowned in response. "What's up? Project not going well?"

"No... I mean, yes?"

Rudra took notice of the letter in my hand and I quickly covered it up. My jaw was locked in place and I could feel myself begin to sweat.

"Sheldon, what's going on?"

I sighed and reluctantly handed the paper to Rudra. It only took him a few seconds to read the document, or at least the bolded letters before he reacted.

"What? You're being evicted? Can they do that?" I swore Rudra screamed at the top of his lungs and I covered his mouth with my hand.

I looked at the rest of the people that sat at the computers and they stared at us with curiosity. A glare made them turn away easily and I went back to focus on Rudra. He managed to swat my hand away from his face and handed me back my paper.

"What are you going to do?" Rudra looked worried and was now fidgeting with the strap on his backpack.

"I... can figure it out."

"Are you going to make a secret villain lair?"

I shook my head. "I would need an engineering degree then blueprints and then approval from the city then materials and money..."

"That's a no I'm guessing?"

"Definitely a no. Trust me, I've looked into it before."

"I would offer for you to stay at my place but I don't have any space at home for you."

I felt the corners of my mouth lift slightly. "I appreciate the thought."

"I... really hope things go well with you." Rudra's eyes met mine and I felt my face heat up instantly.

"Thanks." I cleared my throat and shoved the letter into my pocket. "I'll figure something out. I know my way around the streets."

I tried to sound confident but I could only feel my anxiousness grow. I tried to suppress it as I needed a plan quickly. I had thirty days which was enough time, I hope. I usually needed only a week to come up with a plan.

"I should get going but..." Rudra poked my shoulder and I looked up at him with confusion. "Try and stay safe, okay?"

"Ah, I'll do my best," I said it so stiffly that I felt like I messed up the interaction somehow.

Rudra left with a wave and I riffled through my bag looking for anything. I pulled out another letter and looked it over. It was the letter from Tattle Tail. I hummed to myself and began to punch in the website link onto the computer in front of me.

If I had money, I would at least be able to buy a place to stay for some time. I just had to get my hands a little dirty.